Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon Fiber Leading Edge?

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Leading Edge?

My conclusion.
    This has been a very interesting thread. And looked deep into the subject of pairing up two base materials.
    Great feedback!

Kelby, what are you going to use as the leading edge?
    From my earlier post, I mentioned that Skystar provided a plastic leading edge. Does away with all the incompatibles, and keeps movement with any potential flexing of the spar.
    What is being provided these days?
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

We blend dissimilar metals (steel and aluminum) in several places on this plane, and all we do is add some micro balloons to the Hysol. Wouldn't that work in this situation? It is mostly bonded to the short sections of PVC you bond to the forward spar, and up onto the wood cap strips. It only comes into contact with the aluminum spar at the tangent points.

I weighed my Laker leading edge pieces. Ten pounds before cutting or bonding anything. Not trivial in my book.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I weighed my Laker leading edge pieces. Ten pounds before cutting or bonding anything. Not trivial in my book.
    If you are trying to save weight the lightest option would be to not install the Laker leading edge or carbon fiber . . .
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    If you are trying to save weight the lightest option would be to not install the Laker leading edge or carbon fiber . . .
    I should have been more clear. I'm at that cross road right now, being that I have the parts to go either way.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I should have been more clear. I'm at that cross road right now, being that I have the parts to go either way.
    If you have the Laker leading edge the weight penalty is not that much, assuming you are not going LSA. If you are going experimental the aesthetics are nice but if you haven't purchased them yet, consider that there are allot more Kitfoxes flying out there without them than with them and we who do not have them are happy and having a great time. Even though LLE are thin material, it will stiffen the wing some due to the D-cell structure it creates. Not like Carbon Fiber would but still it is there.
    Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ