Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Starter solenoid hook up

Default Starter solenoid hook up

I've got the Rotax starter solenoid pictured below and am confused on which terminals should be wired up to the output of the master solenoid and starter. Answers to the following questions should clear up my confusion and would be appreciated if anyone knows all or some of the answers:

1) Does it matter which terminal connects to the 12 VDC output of the master solenoid output and starter? If it matters, which is which?
    2) I have a push button start switch in my instrument panel so does the push button direct a 12VDC current from my fuse box to the spade connector on the solenoid or does it short it to ground when the push button switch is pushed?
    3) Which terminal does the red end of the flyback diode connect to and where does the other end connect?

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 6.32.29 PM.jpg
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Starter solenoid hook up

1. It makes no difference; the large lugs are just a pair of relay contacts.
    2. The start switch provides 12V to the solenoid control tab (the solenoid's case is grounded).
    3. The diode's stripe faces 12V (control tab) and the other end connects to ground (case).

If you're installing a 912iS or 915iS, take a look at this Service Instruction, which directs that the solenoid be isolated from airframe or EMS ground. Probably worth reading in any case, as it addresses non-iS engines as well.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Eric,

Thanks for the input. When I put 12VDC to the spade tab and ground the solenoid case then shouldn't I hear a "click" when the relay is closed? I don't hear anything and I'm thinking maybe the solenoid is not working properly.
    Larry Olson
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Check continuity with a multimeter. Don't rely on an audible click.
    Jeff Atkinson
    RV-8 - Flying since 2012
    Kitfox S7 Super Sport - Building since April 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Birdseyeview View Post
    Eric,

Thanks for the input. When I put 12VDC to the spade tab and ground the solenoid case then shouldn't I hear a "click" when the relay is closed? I don't hear anything and I'm thinking maybe the solenoid is not working properly.
    Just checking but did you have a ground connected to the case of the solenoid when you put 12VDC on the spade?

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Gary,

I should have thought of that first. I just removed the solenoid and checked it with a DC voltage and grounded the case. It works like its supposed to ("click" and all). The mounting plate that the solenoid is bolted to is mounted with rubberized adel clamps and as a result it isn't grounded and now it all makes sense. I'll ground the mounting shelf and all should be well. Thanks for the idea. Many times its the simple things that are the answer.
    Larry Olson
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS