Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel ON or OFF?

Default Fuel ON or OFF?

After shutdown I mean. I'm wondering what other Kitfox pilots pilots do - leave the fuel tap on or turn it off after flight? I've always left it on because there seems to be no safety or maintenance advantage to turning it off. It is a 912 ULS powered S5 with the standard on/off tap supplied in the Skystar kit. I occasionally turn it off after engine start just to check that it is operating smoothly and is actually stopping the engine. What do others do?

Nice weather here in central Europe so today a flight to rack up my 500th Kitfox landing

Default Re: Fuel ON or OFF?

My procedure is to turn off all three fuel valves. The (my) theory being that it eliminates/minimizes constant pressure on the floats and will minimize any leaks that might occur during the aging process. Thinking it might not be a good idea to shut them off during a short fuel stop, I once experienced the down-wing-massive-overflow on a ramp where the slope was barely noticeable. Now they get shut off and my personal rule is to follow, without exception, the good ole start up checklist.

I shut mine off and "Fuel On" appears twice in my checklist.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    My procedure is to turn off all three fuel valves. The (my) theory being that it eliminates/minimizes constant pressure on the floats and will minimize any leaks that might occur during the aging process. Thinking it might not be a good idea to shut them off during a short fuel stop, I once experienced the down-wing-massive-overflow on a ramp where the slope was barely noticeable. Now they get shut off and my personal rule is to follow, without exception, the good ole start up checklist.
    Ditto exactly!
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Unless there is a safety reason to turn it off, I see no upside.

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    I shut mine off and "Fuel On" appears twice in my checklist.
    Dave yes "Fuel on" also appears twice in my checklist even though don't shut mine off and can't yet see the benefit of doing that. Except I do worry about the valve not being moved and maybe the seal hardens and eventually fails when I really do want it to turn off e.g. a fire/crash situation. So I sometimes cycle it but otherwise leave it on.

Quote Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
    Unless there is a safety reason to turn it off, I see no upside.
    Agreed.

I only shut mine off when needed for maintenance or emergency. I see more valid reasons not to shut them off.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    I haven't run any plumbing yet, but 3 valves? I only know of the one on the center console.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I haven't run any plumbing yet, but 3 valves? I only know of the one on the center console.

It is advisable to put a shut off valve on each wing tank. For nothing else it makes maintenance easier if you need to work on a tank.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I used to leave my fuel valve ON all the time, but now turn it OFF after the day's flying. What changed my mind is someone left his ON and some debris or something caused his float needle not to seal off and the next morning he found a large puddle of gas under the engine where it had run out the overflow tube during the night. Imagine what a spark could have caused when he turned on the lights or something with those gas fumes filling the hangar. I know its a long shot but it very well could happen, so I now turn mine off. Its easy enough to do.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS