Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N188LR First Flight

Default Re: N188LR First Flight

Congratulations John! Good job! The other guys have pretty much covered this, but here is a excerpt from an explanation of wing rigging that I saved. I believe it may have come from John McBean or someone else at the factory... sorry that I don't know for sure. It was helpful to me. I had the heavy left wing also. Keep in mind that besides P-factor, you also probably have just a pilot and no one in the passenger seat. This is a factor in our light aircraft.

Wing Rigging Adjustments

…you can adjust either side… we will typically decrease the angle of incidence first, then increase on the opposite wing if needed. Try to make changes equal.

For example… We have a slight left turn… or heavy left wing as they say.

We have determined that we do not have a yaw issue that is causing the left turn.

We adjust the right wing rear lift strut rod end out 1 turn… record our change and pre-flight for a test flight. Decreased Twist (wash-out).

Not enough… so now we’ll adjust the left wing rear lift strut rod end in 1 turn… record our change and pre-flight for a test flight. Increased Twist (wash-out).

Still not enough… adjust the right wing front lift strut rod end in 1 turn… record our change and pre-flight for a test flight. Decreased Twist (wash-out).

Still not enough… adjust the left wing front lift strut rod end out 1 turn… record our change and pre-flight for a test flight. Increased Twist (wash-out).

You may need to make a ½ turn or maybe a 1 ½ turn. All depends on the severity of the roll rate.

Always check to make sure that adequate rod end thread engagement is maintained.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Great looking Kitfox John. Big congrats!

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Looks great! Congrats!!
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I'm having fun with this thing!

I got to fly this morning for the first time since this post. I made a one turn adjustment to the right rear lift strut attach point. The plane does not want to roll to the left quite as much as it did before. I think before the next flight I'll make an adjustment to the left rear lift strut attach point by one turn. As far as the rudder is concerned, I can keep the ball in the center with wings level with the stick and my feet on the floor, so I believe this can be resolved with lift strut adjustments. Hoping to get this resolved so I can start doing some stall testing.

I added another degree of pitch to the prop as well and saw about 110 (10 mph improvement). Considering I live in Wisconsin, I don't mind giving up a little climb for cruise.

I did my first pavement landings with the plane today as well. Very good manners on pavement, I was quite happy about that. When I measured the toe on the landing gear, I was around 0.25 degrees toe in on the right side and 0.40 degrees toe out on the left. I was debating on getting a 0.5 degree shim for the left to bring it in, but I don't know if it is necessary.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!