Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 23 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

I have heard that fitting the tail inspection panels is a pain - there is truth to that rumor. Took two days to get them in the way I like them and fit. Lots of putting them in, checking the fit of the horizontal stab and elevator in the full trim range, seeing where the panels interfered with the stab and elevator, removing the panel, trimming and re-installing. Just to do it again when it still wasn't right. It's not a flat surface to this panel so that complicates it a bit. I found that once I had it pretty close, I started making reference lines on the panel and the fuselage so that I could come back after trimming and place the panel exactly where it was when I pulled it out. Lots of clamps and clecos but they are fitted to the fuselage now.

Lft Insp Panel Fit 1.jpgRt Insp Panel Fitting 4.jpgRt Insp Panel Fitting 5.jpgRt Insp Panel Fitting 8.jpgLft Insp Panel Fit 2.jpgBoth Insp Panels 1.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Finishing up some stuff today that I had started on earlier but didn't totally complete. I had installed the rack for the transponder, built the ground plane for the antenna and then never installed the antenna and the antenna cable. (removed the antenna so I can skin the fuselage but left the ground plane well grounded to the fuselage) So that was first on today's list. I had built some close outs for the horizontal stab braces using an older Kitfox version as a model. (I liked it better than the current one) Installed the bracket on the stab and made the plates to close them out but never opened up the space to pass through the brace. That hole has to clear the brace during the whole trim range of motion. So that was second on the list and got both side completed and ran the trim through the full range to verify the clearance. The third thing on the list required beer. I successfully completed that as well.

IFF 1.jpgIFF 3.jpgIFF 7.jpgIFF 9.jpgHor Stab Brace Cover 2.jpgHor Stab Brace Cover 4.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Finally got home and was able to work on the plane again. Still working things that get me ready to start the skinning. I wired and installed the bracket for the ELT, painted the inboard section of my wings and tail section inspection panels silver to match the skin. I also mortgaged my house to buy two sheets of plywood to set up a table to layout and cut my larger pieces of Oratex. I unpacked the roll of Oratex so the actual start of skinning is now truly in sight.

Looking forward to meeting some of you all at the Fly In!!

Gary

ELT 2.jpgELT 1.jpgInbrd Stbd Wing.jpgOratex table 1.jpgOratex Table 2.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Great progress. Maybe when you're done you can sell the plywood and buy a gallon of gas.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Great progress. Maybe when you're done you can sell the plywood and buy a gallon of gas.
    I like your thinking!!! But it'll have to a half gallon since I have a diesel.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

So first off, those of you who didn't get to go to the Fly In - I heartily encourage you to put it on your calendar for 2024 (they happen every two years). It was exactly the great time that you would expect Debra, John, Heather, Brandon and the rest of the Kitfox crew to put on. Not to mention meeting some of you that I only know from here. I finally got to start on skinning. Cut my first piece of Oratex, marked off where the glue need to go, laid down the glue and let it dry three hours. Then I applied the second coat of glue which also got to dry. Going to lay down the glue on the right wing and once that has two coats that have dried, I will get to attach my first piece. While waiting for the glue to dry, I attached the clips to my tail inspection panel opening that will allow me to use 6-32 screws to hold the panel. They attached pretty securely but I did put a dab of Hysol on them just for insurance. I also assembled my battery box just cause I could. Last but not least, one of the benefits of the Kitfox Factory Fly In was being able to take a very close look at an almost assembled factory build aircraft. That let me see some of the little tricks Brandon and crew use when building those. One of the takeaways was a small opening up of the forward floorboard that allows you access to the nut when you attach the landing gear. So you know I took max pics of stuff and today I did my floorboards.

Access Hole 2.jpgAccess Hole 1.jpgBattery Box 1.jpgTail Panel 1.jpgOratex 1.jpgOratex 4.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Nice. Bummed I didn't go. Can I assume that battery box is a factory offering? Looks great.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Nice. Bummed I didn't go. Can I assume that battery box is a factory offering? Looks great.
    Yes it was a good time Alex. Lots of good people. That is the Gucci battery box that comes with the 912is firewall forward.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

I agree on attending the Kitfox Factory Fly-in. This was my third and every time I enjoy meeting those that are only typed here on the Forum. Gary, it was great getting to talk to you and sharing build information in person while looking at how the Factory does it.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    I agree on attending the Kitfox Factory Fly-in. This was my third and every time I enjoy meeting those that are only typed here on the Forum. Gary, it was great getting to talk to you and sharing build information in person while looking at how the Factory does it.
    Same same Ralph. (really wanted to call you Senior but......respect anyway)

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning