Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 26 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Flipped over the fuselage to start the prep and covering of the bottom. Funny how when you do something like and and change the perspective of how you are looking at stuff you find more to do. I installed the avionic trays that go behind the panel, the header tank drain, the transponder ground plane and then, finally got to lay the skin over the bottom. Traced out all the fuselage points that I will glue the skin to and have started brushing on the glue.

Avionincs Shelf 3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Got the fuselage bottom skin glued and tightened. With Oratex you need to glue the skin pretty much all the way around the tubes at the edge (where possible). So once the bottom was attached really well, I flipped the fuselage back over (with some help from my son) and did the trimming of the excess and got it glued to the tubes. Pretty happy with the whole process and a lot of the consternation I had about doing the covering is easing up a bit. You watch enough videos and read the instructions enough times and it seems to work. Had to order a bit more glue to finish off the fuselage so I started on the elevator. Got the right side glued but have to wait a day for the glue to set before I can fully tighten it. Certainly not as easy as the wings or what I've done on the fuselage so far but not crazy hard either. Made good use of the hold downs on the table saw outfeed table which made controlling the elevator while pulling on the Oratex much easier. If I hadn't had them, I would have had to wait for someone else to come hold the elevator while I did the pulling. Will start the left side tomorrow since it doesn't seem to use much glue at all to get them set up.

Oratex Bot 5.jpgOratex Bot 6.jpgOratex Bot 8.jpgOratex Bot 9.jpgElev Rt 1.jpgElev Rt 3.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Looking good Gary, you are nearing the halfway point!
    I really like the spring assist after I put it on.
    If you are not comfortable not rib stitching by all means rib stitch, it sure won't hurt anything. I only have 60 hours so I'm still proving it. I check fabric every time I fly. So far no problem. The good think about about oratex is I can rib stitch later if I decide there's a need to.
    Keep on Building!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Thanks Harlan. I hadn't thought about the rib stitching that way but you are so right. Since we don't have to paint with Oratex, we have the option to stitch any time. Good data point on your plane as well as Dustins - neither are stitched.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

My elevator is covered. Still need to do the finishing tapes but the major part is done. While waiting for the glue to dry on the Oratex, I started fitting the fairings on the landing gear struts. You cut the fairing part lengthwise to wind up with a front and rear fairing. The table saw made short work of that. Gotta like a good carbide blade for that kind of stuff. Got the fairings pretty much dialed in and started Hysoling the fitted fairings to the struts. This will be one of those things that when I get to that part in the instructions, the parts will be ready to go. I had made a bunch of stuff like that over the Winter so when I got to them this summer, it was really nice to just go to the box and get the part - all good to go.

Elev Lft 3.jpgElev Lft 1.jpgElev Lft 4.jpgGear Fairing 1.jpgGear Fairing 2.jpgGear Fairing 5.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Have decided that where I placed my wingtip lights on the wingtip edge fence (STi) was not going to let me get away from not having a taillight on the rudder. My only concern was how to wire it where if I had to pull the light out of its fixture or remove the rudder for some king of maintenance, there was no way to access the connector/wiring in the rudder other than cutting it and splicing it later. So I decided to build an access panel of sorts that let me do all the above. Took a piece of left-over Laker leading edge fiberglass and reformed it to the curve of the rudder leading edge fairing using a heat gun. Added in a couple stainless steel reinforcements on the edge, some nut plates and a grommet to pass the wire through. There's probably a more elegant way to do this but I'm happy with it. While waiting for parts to dry (Hysol and paint) I installed the fuel quantity sight tubes and primed the fairings I had installed on the landing gear struts. Lots of small stuff while I am getting ready to cover the sides of the fuselage. My son and I rolled the fuselage over on its side. Once my covering assistant gets home from flying lessons, I'll start that process.

Lndg Gear Fairings 11.JPGTailight 1.JPGTailight Door 2.JPGTailight Door 3.JPGTailight Door 7.JPGTailight Door 6.jpgTailight Door 8.JPGFuselage Side.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Rolled the fuselage over on its side to begin doing the side as well as setting the rudder deflection. Just easier when it's on its side. With Oratex you have to put a coat of glue on, let it dry three hours and put another coat of glue on so that both the skin and the frame have two coats. So while one is drying, I am either tacking on the skin or shrinking skin on another part. Right now I have the elevator done, the horiz stab is half done, left strut is done and I've gotten started on the fuselage. I would agree with Harlan (Farm Fox) that the side is a LOT harder than it looks. I also had quite the mistake. I thought the way to go was bottom, sides and then top. So I cut my pieces of Oratex to length for the sides and the top. Cut the first side to size, marked where the framework hit it so I could glue, and then laid out the piece for the top. It was real obvious to me that the top piece was never going to go on as one piece and I had not cut it large enough to split it in to two pieces. Went back to some of the builders logs on the forum and some videos on You Tube only to find out that you did the side and half the top as one section. The piece I had cut was now too small and I didn't have enough left to cut another. So my haste to get going cost me another 5 meters of Oratex. Not a cheap lesson for certain but that's what happens when you get in a hurry and don't listen to your own advice to check before you cut.

Fuselage Cvr 1.JPGFuselage Cvr 2.JPGRudder Throw.JPGHoriz Stab Cvr 1.JPGHoriz Stab Cvr 4.JPGStrut Cover 1.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

I feel for you Gary but it's nice to know I'm not the only one that screws up! Haha. You do great work as far as I can see.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Please explain the process involved to how you got such a lovely finish on the aluminium top console. It looks amazing

Hiya again, what tool did you use to dimple the window frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    Please explain the process involved to how you got such a lovely finish on the aluminium top console. It looks amazing

Hiya again, what tool did you use to dimple the window frames?
    Jez - The finish is a vinyl coating. Really good stuff and easy to work with. Before I put the vinyl on, I riveted in all the parts using solid flathead rivets (not the pop rivets from the kit) and then put down a layer of Poly Fibre Super Fill and sanded that flat, and primed it. The vinyl is really easy to work with and seems pretty durable.

I used a squeeze riveter with dimpling heads installed to do the dimples.

Gary

Film.jpgDimple.jpgRiveter.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning