Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Flipped over the fuselage to start the prep and covering of the bottom. Funny how when you do something like and and change the perspective of how you are looking at stuff you find more to do. I installed the avionic trays that go behind the panel, the header tank drain, the transponder ground plane and then, finally got to lay the skin over the bottom. Traced out all the fuselage points that I will glue the skin to and have started brushing on the glue.

Avionincs Shelf 3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Got the fuselage bottom skin glued and tightened. With Oratex you need to glue the skin pretty much all the way around the tubes at the edge (where possible). So once the bottom was attached really well, I flipped the fuselage back over (with some help from my son) and did the trimming of the excess and got it glued to the tubes. Pretty happy with the whole process and a lot of the consternation I had about doing the covering is easing up a bit. You watch enough videos and read the instructions enough times and it seems to work. Had to order a bit more glue to finish off the fuselage so I started on the elevator. Got the right side glued but have to wait a day for the glue to set before I can fully tighten it. Certainly not as easy as the wings or what I've done on the fuselage so far but not crazy hard either. Made good use of the hold downs on the table saw outfeed table which made controlling the elevator while pulling on the Oratex much easier. If I hadn't had them, I would have had to wait for someone else to come hold the elevator while I did the pulling. Will start the left side tomorrow since it doesn't seem to use much glue at all to get them set up.

Oratex Bot 5.jpgOratex Bot 6.jpgOratex Bot 8.jpgOratex Bot 9.jpgElev Rt 1.jpgElev Rt 3.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Looking good Gary, you are nearing the halfway point!
    I really like the spring assist after I put it on.
    If you are not comfortable not rib stitching by all means rib stitch, it sure won't hurt anything. I only have 60 hours so I'm still proving it. I check fabric every time I fly. So far no problem. The good think about about oratex is I can rib stitch later if I decide there's a need to.
    Keep on Building!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    Looking good Gary, you are nearing the halfway point!
    I really like the spring assist after I put it on.
    If you are not comfortable not rib stitching by all means rib stitch, it sure won't hurt anything. I only have 60 hours so I'm still proving it. I check fabric every time I fly. So far no problem. The good think about about oratex is I can rib stitch later if I decide there's a need to.
    Keep on Building!
    Thanks Harlan. I hadn't thought about the rib stitching that way but you are so right. Since we don't have to paint with Oratex, we have the option to stitch any time. Good data point on your plane as well as Dustins - neither are stitched.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning