Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 42 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

I have a G3X and Ipad and love the ipad. As a professional pilot, the ipad is required to do my job. I came so accustomed to the ipad, and how easy it is to use that I wanted one in my aircraft. Easier to create flightplans or fly to way points in foreflight and then send it to the panel, G3X, via bluetooth. Way easier to intercept weather and weather plan. Easier to see and avoid traffic on the ipad. Music is loaded on the ipad to listen with passengers through intercom. Movies loaded on ipad for long cross countries. The G3x is awesome but it only has so much limited real-estate.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I guess most of the answers to Jim's question have been provided. I like having the iPad there to display ADSB-In traffic. If I head west over the Cascades I have to deal with Seattle area and it gets pretty hectic some times. Then there is the fact that if I were to go cross county in the speed demon that the STi is, I can load a movie on to the iPad and have inflight entertainment!! (Ok. Kidding on that last one.)

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    I like having the iPad there to display ADSB-In traffic.
    Gary
    Ditto, ADSB traffic is normally on one half of my iPad screen.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

My ADS-B IN, traffic and weather shows up on my Skyview EFIS.
    Thanks for the comments; the consensus seems to be the iPad is a great and inexpensive backup, which makes sense to me. As far as mounting it in the panel, it seems to be just a convenience thing if you have space there for it. Personally I prefer to use that space for a nice glovebox.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Been working getting the interface between the upper and lower cowlings faired in. Fabricated the brackets for installing the radiator. Instructions said to hot glue or strap tape the radiator into position on the lower cowling but that didn't work for me. The strap tape just kept pulling away from the fiberglass and let the radiator move out of position. So I taped a piece of plywood across the cowling to keep the radiator in its fore/aft position and spacers to provide the correct height off the cowling. That worked perfectly. Mounted the radiator and then fabricated the third support bracket. Got that all installed and verified that both the radiator did not touch the cowling and it was still in the proper position to mount the naca duct. Got the naca duct positioned, drilled/cleco'd the guide holes, did the rough cut out and finally Hysol'd the duct into the cowling. Now it's on to body working the duct and installing the oil cooler.

Cowl 18.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Finally, something to slow you down.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Yeah and you having the month to play. I am really slow when it comes to working fiberglass so here's your chance mate. Looks like your making good progress on yours Alex

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Looks like you might make a good body shop weenie yet!

Mud on - Sand off...repeat!

Looking good Gary!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Finished fairing in the naca duct on the lower cowl and gave it a coat of primer. Fabricated the brackets to mount the oil cooler to the radiator and then mounted the whole assembly on to the plane. Finally achieved one of the first rites of passage where I took the left wing off of the rotisserie (more room in the shop - yahoo!!), pulled the wiring for the magnetometer, OAT, pitot heat, landing lights, nav lights and pitot system tubing through the wing. Secured the wiring at the wing tip with Adel clamps and then consolidated all the wiring in the left wing into a single connector so I have a wing wiring disconnect should I need to remove the wing at a later time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

With the help of my wing crew, I attached the port wing so that I could get a bunch of stuff dialed in. My Magnetometer, OAT, Nav/landing lites and the heated pitot tube are all on that wing. I installed a wing root electrical disconnect connector there so if/when I need to take the wing off, I can do it without cutting wires. Happy to report that all those parts worked as advertised and the G3X was all green checks except for the Rotax FADEC. Started troubleshooting what the problem was with that interface and finally found it: me. Didn't quite understand how the interface worked between the Start Power switch and the Lanes. Once I got that straight, Lane A wasn't responsive or at least the light wasn't working. Turns out Lane A was fine (G3X made that easy to determine once I knew what to look for), I had just wired the LED backwards. Got that all dialed in now. Decided it was time to start work on the oil access door on the upper cowling. Made a pattern for the inside dimensions of the opening. Taped that to the rough door and made sure that the door followed the contour of the cowl. Sprayed a little black paint on the door with the pattern attached so I now had a shape to cut to. Cut out the door opening on the cowl and did the final fitting of the door to the opening. Still have to make the cutout for the hinge.

Wing Crew.JPGLeft wing Inboard Wires 3.JPGCowl Door 1.JPGCowl Door 2.JPGCowl Door 6.JPGCowl Door 7.JPGCowl Door 10.JPGCowl Door 8.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning