Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 37 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Mounted the fuel filter assembly, filter capacitor and the motor mount getting ready to mount the engine. Reading some of the other members of the forum who had a real go of it getting the bolts between the mount and the fuselage to line up (including ratchet straps to pull things in), I was ready for a real 'fun' time of getting the mount on. Decided to do the mount to the fuselage first before the engine to the mount. Imagine my amazement when literally I got all five bolts on the mount attached. Even the 5/16th one at the bottom. They all lined up with only two needing a light love tap from a small hammer to get them through. Granted I used my small block Chevy experience of never torquing the bolts down till you had them all started a few threads but I think I lucked out. Today the wife and I went out and used an engine hoist to raise the engine up and bolted it to the mount. The only surprise for me was that I had to remove the muffler to get the upper bolts through. Once I did that, it was pretty smooth sailing. Used clamps to compress the rubber motor mounts so that I could start the nuts on the bolts but that was really the extent of it. I am including the FAA mandated selfie showing that I was really doing the work. Wearing my jacket cause I had to have the doors open to use the hoist and it's 31 degrees outside. At least I picked the warmest part of the day.

Capacitor.JPGFuel Filter.JPGMotor Mount.JPGEngine Mounted.JPGSelfie Engine 3.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Looks good Gary. I remember all the gyrations it took to coax my mounts in. Beautiful shop by the way!

That 22000uf cap is sure large. The one I got in my fwf kit is 1/4 of that size. Go figure.

Lots of fuel stuff going on there. You fuelie guys love to show off your plumbing! Lol.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Thanks Brett. I am very fortunate when it comes to the shop and after reading some of the horror stories about the mount, figure I am fortunate there as well. I realize the issue of getting two separately welded fitments to line up is a tough nut to crack with heat, difference in material expansion and such so think my experience falls under the category of very fortunate. As for the cap -- size matters (payback for the plumbing crack Chief!) My FWF kit didn't have a cap but they make a difference to the junk (technical term) on the charging circuit.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Started populating the engine sub-systems like the ECU and fuse box. My first "Dang it" moment came when I looked at where Kitfox suggested mounting the ECU. Right where I had already mounted my battery backup on the left equipment rack. An alternate was to mount it on the right equipment rack but my VPX was mounted there. The solution was to bend up a mounting rack where I could place my ECU over the top of the battery back up. Got one bent up on the brake, fitted it on the left side and then got it painted. Once it has had time to dry, I'll get it installed. Installed the fuse box on the fire wall which went well. Wiring in the X3 power connector has some pretty healthy Molex pins you need to connect up and my first look at a tool to work Molex pins with 10 AWG wire was going to be a $500 bite. Nope. Luckily I found a set of jaws that work in my crimping tool and worked perfectly with the pins. So my X3 connector is all wired and connected. I installed the clipping diodes on my master and starter relays which will go a long way to extending the operational life of those relays. Have been wrestling with where to mount my ground forests. I wanted separate ones for avionics and the lights/shields/switches. Finally came to a decision, mounted them and then began populating the lights and shields grounds.

ECU Mount 1.JPGECU Mount 2.JPGFuse Box 1.JPGMolex.jpegRelay Diodes.JPGGround Forest 1.JPGGround Forest 2.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Your ground forest looks mucho-mo-better than my ground forest!

You need to teach a class on wiring how to's and do not's!

Nice work around on the ECU.

Looking good Gary!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

No kidding. Geek, you clearly need some more practice with wiring. I know just the project for you!
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Your ground forest looks mucho-mo-better than my ground forest!
    Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    No kidding. Geek, you clearly need some more practice with wiring. I know just the project for you!
    Thanks guys. Full disclosure however is that the rack for the ECU took some epic fails before I got it like I wanted it. Seems like every time I thought I had it, something else needed to be accommodated. You can see the major cables from the engine to the ECU coming out from underneath the rack in the last pic. My ground forest is complete with all the avionics now grounded. Guess the next thing to do is wire up the HIC connectors.

Can't imagine what project you might be thinking of Alex. But note that I do work for beer.

Gary

Ground Forest 3.JPGECU 6.JPGECU 5.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Hi Gary,
    I'm not up to where you are yet. Did the diodes for the solenoids come with the kit or are those after-market. If so, can you give a link?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA

Any of the 1N54xx series, in a DO-27/DO-201AD case size will work fine. Big enough to be physically robust and not fiddly to install.

https://www.digikey.com/short/23wqchrd

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PCQD8YY/
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Any of the 1N54xx series, in a DO-27/DO-201AD case size will work fine. Big enough to be physically robust and not fiddly to install.

https://www.digikey.com/short/23wqchrd

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PCQD8YY/
    Thanks Eric!
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA