Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Instrument panel looks really nice!!

Might have to "borrow your cross-beam idea for the wiring. Keeping the wires out of the tension rollers is a good thing.
    Smart to do all of that BEFORE the firewall is installed unlike me! Lol.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Looks very good, Gary! I love your dark carbon fiber look panel.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks guys.

Brett I was looking at your build and saw that you are a retired ATC. I started in the Navy as an ATR (that'll give you some idea of when eh?) but literally spent my whole time flying. Got out as an AT2 but went straight into Simple Service. Had a lot of good Chiefs along the way. Some who weren't happy that I was flying and not working in my rate but still were good to me for sure. My daughter is a helo pilot in the Navy and has also been lucky getting good Chiefs when she was doing her Division Head and OIC stuff. I made sure she was smart enough to know a good one from a bad one and when you got a good one - keep him/her.

Thanks again for the comments and support.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

ATR? Not familiar with that one. I'm familiar with aviation radio tech (ART). What were you flying in?

I was an AX initially and when they were phased out, hocus-pocus I became an AT.
    I was mostly a maintainer but got back-seat qual'd in the S3A/B.
    Had quite a few cats/traps on Vinson, Lincoln, Nimitz back in the day, mostly in VS-29 and VS-41.

1200px-Viking_S-3B (2020_09_21 10_29_07 UTC).jpg

Your daughter fly's helo's, eh?
    She must be one tough, smart gal, my hats off to Her.
    Takes a lot of talent to be a Navy pilot, or any pilot for that matter in today's Military.
    Good job dad!

190320-N-HX510-0079-1024x682.jpg

Keep up the great work on your plane. I'm enjoying your journey.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    ATR? Not familiar with that one. I'm familiar with aviation radio tech (ART). What were you flying in?...........
    Back in the early days ATs were divided into ATRs and ATNs. The Rs took care of radios and radars and the N did navigation equipment. About 71 or 72 the Navy decided that we would all just be ATs. Did two tours in Nam with VQ-1 on Kitty Hawk in Whales.

vq-1-descent.jpg

Got out, went back to school and then back to work for the Navy as a Sandcrab. Worked in developmental flight test and later in operational flight test. Got time in Phantoms and Turkeys (F-14) getting to operate off of pretty much every boat we have (other than the Ford). Best career ever. Daughter is kicking it in her career. Deployments, RAG instructor, Horse Holder for the ADM at BUPERS and just got sent to the War College in Rhode Island for her Masters. Just kinda proud of her a bit. Even willing to overlook those helo things she flies.

Back when I was waiting for my kit to be delivered, I scoured this forum looking at what others were doing and your build was one of those I was hawking. Good stuff in there. Wish I had your talent with the spray gun. Painting seems to be my achilles heal.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Got my panel back from Stein who did an excellent job on the engraving so I figured I should start populating the panel and installing it. I also used the trusty label maker and made labels for all the switches and such that I could put on the back so I am sure what is going where. I also put connector designator labels on the boxes so I would be sure of which connector I was really running a wire to when I get into full on wiring. Since I am using the VPX to control the electronics, I was able to easily wire in the switches on the right side of the panel along with the ELT as well. Installed the GPS unit on its plate behind the seat, installed the control sticks and the ran the wiring to the respective boxes for the switches on the stick.

Panel 4.jpgPanel 1.JPGPanel 2.jpgPanel 3.JPGGPS20.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Gary, that panel looks great! Two questions: Is that a vinyl overlay, and if so, did Stein engrave right through the vinyl?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

It is an overlay Eric. As I understood the process, they apply the overlay, do the cutouts, and then apply multiple coats of clear coat. If you look at the panel up close you can tell it's coated and it feels REALLY smooth to the touch. Once the clear coat has dried sufficiently, then the panel is engraved into the clear coat.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

That is a very nice panel Gary. I like the way you labeled the plugs; I used a marker on the back, haha. Shows you are in a class above me. Haha
    Your wiring looks great and the detail securing of the wires is very nice.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Your panel is top notch! I enjoy seeing the attention to detail in your work.

Good stuff Gary.

Brett Butler