Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
I think dimpling those window frame corners is a great idea. I considered it at the time but don't have the tools for it, but I wish I had taken the time to obtain them. You could probably skip the body and fender work on those frames entirely.

Where I'm from (engineering/production environment) Rivnuts are a plague to be avoided at all costs because when (not if) they spin it really stinks. There are certain places where they are about the only solution so: "keyed" Rivnuts only, installed very carefully and treated with kid gloves forever. I do like your loctite idea.

Per the builder tips thread I completed my rudder cable installation a long time ago when it was easy. Since I'm using Oratex and don't need to paint, I can poke them through as I cover the sides of the fuselage. The openings will be much smaller than the ones on my Citabria.
Yes the dimples were a big difference but not enough to keep me from having to work as a bondo boy. I Hysol'd my left side stringer today but that was it. Guess I have been lucky with my rivnuts. I did have one spin on me long ago but it was one of those smooth aluminum ones and I should have known better. I restored a 65 Corvette and a 70 El Camino in my earlier days and was able to use rivnuts in places that made it so much easier to work on later on. (Corvette guys are probably rolling their eyes reading that - sacrilege!!).

We are doing combat snow over here today. Woke up to over 20" of new snow and after I completed going over all that I have to plow (3 hours for a normally 1 hour job), I looked at the area where I started and there was 6 inches of new. Sure interferes with the building of my plane!!!

G

shed.jpg