Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    Looking good Gary.
    You have a top notch plane and I have enjoyed watching your build.
    I liked working with the family building mine, that was the best part for me, but I was glad when the building was over and the flying began.
    I know several love to build and can't wait to start the next one.
    Myself I don't think I would ever do it again. Glad I did it once but not any interest to do it again.
    The flying part....265 hours in 17 months so far. I do enjoy flying the kitfox and look forward to flying it again every time I land. Haha

I look forward to you getting yours in the air!
    Thanks Harlan. My thoughts in watching your videos and posts during your build was "There's a man whose doing this right" in that you always seemed to have family helping out. Willingly helping out. And you got a sweet plane to boot!! I made an error in my thinking on how long it would take the FAA to give me a N number (given I am a retired simple servant you'd of thought I would have had a better grip on that) so am weighing the plane today and for the most part, am ready to submit my paperwork and get the DAR to inspect once I get my number. Then it's probably wait out Winter and fly in the Spring. The wife is taking flying lessons as we speak and is very excited to go!!
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I'm really liking that color scheme and enjoying watching it all come together!
    Looks super Gary.

You're going to love flying it!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    I'm really liking that color scheme ..........
    That was a color scheme? Watch out Brett - your 'haze gray and underway' is starting to show. Maybe I should find some green linoleum for my floorboards? Compared to yours - mine is the plain Jane of Kitfoxes.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Another of those small things off the list of things left to do. I had already done the fitting work on the quarter windows but hadn't actually done the final install. So now that's done. I used kind of a hybrid of the Kitfox instructions in that I used both the VHB tape to seal and rivets to provide that little extra holding force. I am literally ready for the DAR if I could only get my N Number. That's the one thing I wish I had done a lot earlier if I had known it was going to take this long. Passing through 4 months waiting.

Quarter Window 1.JPGQuarter Window 2.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I used just the tape to install my triangle quarter windows. After 10 years and 1300 hours still holding just fine. Its one of those things I figured I could install rivets later if needed.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I read somewhere once that VHB tape is used to install windows in high-rise buildings. 3M markets the stuff with statements like, "Can replace mechanical fasteners (rivets, welds, screws)."

I strongly suspect that if you followed the guidance in 3M's technical bulletin for VHB tape, including using the right adhesion promoters on the painted and plastic surfaces, it would hold the Kitfox windows to the door frames with no need for metal fasteners.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Smile Re: Geek's STi Build

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    I read somewhere once that VHB tape is used to install windows in high-rise buildings. 3M markets the stuff with statements like, "Can replace mechanical fasteners (rivets, welds, screws)."

I strongly suspect that if you followed the guidance in 3M's technical bulletin for VHB tape, including using the right adhesion promoters on the painted and plastic surfaces, it would hold the Kitfox windows to the door frames with no need for metal fasteners.
    Looks like I am in the category of "Overkill" but I'm OK with that. It is a good thing I didn't see that technical bulletin before I bought the tape Eric. Any product that would use a good beer and then mixes it with water ist verboten in my family!!!!

Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 2.39.57 PM.png
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

As if that's not bad enough, they seem to want you to drink it through a bendy-straw!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

More little stuff. Installed my forward looking camera on my cowling. Hooked it up and it appears to be working as advertised. I didn't take a cool selfie like Harlan did with his camera cause I didn't want to break it before I got to use it for real. So I settled for the view out my shop. Have also run into a bit of an issue with the cowling fasteners. I have had four of them where the cross pin falls out (which means I lose my retaining washer as well). Gone through all the fasteners on the cowlings and found a couple more where the pin will slide back and forth but doesn't fall out. Yet. My fasteners are not hard to set when installing the cowling so I don't think I am putting them under any real stress. Anyone run into this? Am I doing something wrong? Bad fastener batch? Thoughts?

Camera 1.JPGCamera 3.JPGCamera 2.JPGCamera 4.JPGFasteners.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I really like your camera location and mounting job.
    I have never seen a fastener pin loose like that so I'm not much help.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos