Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Worries me a little that you said your doors are "close" to the wing. I did that too, and when I have the door open and engine running, the vibration causes the door to slightly contact the wing and now I have scratches in the door plexi. I should have left about 3/4-1" clearance when static.
    Good point Jim. In my case it's the blind squirrel that got the nut. Mine has just over 3/4". Not by design by any means - just dumb luck.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

That's good Gary; you should be alright.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Between Fall seeming to come early here with rain and blustery days (20kts gusting to 50) it made it a bit hard to move the airplane out and spread the wings. So have been working on some small stuff. I had one day where it was perfect to paint so I got my VGs, hubcaps, and wing cuffs painted. Been on my list for awhile but just hadn't done it. Got the rubber attached to the cuffs so they are done. Got all my VGs moved to their adhesive pages so they are ready to install whenever I do that. (Probably after getting the first flights under my belt and look at stall speeds). One question I had for those who covered with Oratex and attached the VGs. Did you use the adhesive pages that came with the kit or use another adhesive? I've notices that the Oratex is a bit porous and sometimes things don't stick well to it. Got my cowlings on the plane but had to remove the prop to do it. It just wasn't going otherwise. The piece I put around the naca vent for the radiators and the tailpipe just would not let the lower cowl on with the prop installed. I may do a bit of modification to my piece and see if that won't let me attach the cowl with the prop on. But for right now, I am moving towards getting the plane weighed so that I can do my CG and maybe even have a chat with the DAR and get signed off. Would love to do that before the snow hits.

Cuffs.JPGPaint Day.JPGPlane 4.JPGPlane 7.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

How much space do you have between the back of the spinner and the cowl?

Victor
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

Quote Originally Posted by VictorV View Post
    How much space do you have between the back of the spinner and the cowl?

Victor
    About 3/8". Believe my 'issue' is the air bracket around my naca duct to my radiators. Think they might be a bit too long which is stopping me from getting the cowl up and over the radiators far enough to let the intake get around the engine. Will shorten them a bit after I do the weighing and see if that gives me some relief.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

More getting ready to weigh the plane and doing small stuff. Installed the seat pan and seat belts as well as temporarily installing the interior parts of the kit. Riveted the turtle deck strakes on and checked the fit installing the turtle deck on the plane. Attached the landing light lenses on the wing tips so they are done and ready to be reinstalled on the wings.

Interior 2.JPGStrakes 2.JPGStrakes 1.JPGWing Tip Light Lens.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Lookin good!
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Lookin good!
    Thanks Jim. Funny that I'm excited to be getting close to flying it but sad that this part of the adventure is almost over. Loved the building aspect.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I loved the building too, but the flying is even more enjoyable. You still get to get your hands in it for maintenance and annuals, and a few mods you will decide you need after flying awhile.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Looking good Gary.
    You have a top notch plane and I have enjoyed watching your build.
    I liked working with the family building mine, that was the best part for me, but I was glad when the building was over and the flying began.
    I know several love to build and can't wait to start the next one.
    Myself I don't think I would ever do it again. Glad I did it once but not any interest to do it again.
    The flying part....265 hours in 17 months so far. I do enjoy flying the kitfox and look forward to flying it again every time I land. Haha

I look forward to you getting yours in the air!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos