Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Hey Gary,
    I see that your ELT antenna sticks up above the level of the baggage bag. I went to install mine and noticed the same thing. What are you going to do about that? Cut a hole for it to stick out? I was thinking of bending the tab so the antenna would point further forward to clear the front of the ELT, but I'll hold off to see what you do.
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA

Quote Originally Posted by LetMeFly View Post
    Hey Gary,
    I see that your ELT antenna sticks up above the level of the baggage bag. I went to install mine and noticed the same thing. What are you going to do about that? Cut a hole for it to stick out? I was thinking of bending the tab so the antenna would point further forward to clear the front of the ELT, but I'll hold off to see what you do.
    Not sure yet Greg. Sorry that it's not much of an answer for you. I saw it sticking up but wanted to see the overall impact once it all came together when I get the bag and the turtle deck installed. Thinking I might insulate that tip so as not to short it out on the frame and just curve it over but want to go back to my old antenna textbooks and see what the overall impact of that would be to the radiation pattern. But again if I get all the parts together and it's not much of an issue, then cutting a hole and just letting it protrude may be the simple answer. Certainly we aren't the first ones to run into this so sure that someone will chime in with their solution.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

It was suggested to me that letting it stick through a hole in the baggage compartment was a great way to keep it from rattling against the fuselage framework. Seems like it solves a potential problem.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    ....... Certainly we aren't the first ones to run into this so sure that someone will chime in with their solution.

See? Told you someone would come up with a good reason for this. Thanks Alex.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I just bent the antenna forward so that it cleared. It doesn't take that much bending.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I just bent the antenna forward so that it cleared. It doesn't take that much bending.
    OK! We have one vote for "hole through the bag" and one vote for "bend it". Any one else?
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Jim - You've run the test on the ELT with the bent antenna and it passed OK? Am guessing yes since you don't seem the type to do something that would interfere with the ELT doing its job if required.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I lowered the mount so that the tip end was below the cargo bay sack. I just preferred the look. This is a picture of how I had it originally, before lowering. I stabilized it with the plastic tube stand-off and a piece of silicone tubing on the tip. Unnecessary because going through a hole in the fabric would have been sufficient.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Gary, yes I run the annual ELT tests with no problems.
    Also, look at it from a logic standpoint; radio comm antennas (similar frequency as ELT) can be purchased bent at about 70 degrees for mounting on the bottom of the airplane-I have one. No performance problems.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I'm not saying there won't be small performance changes with a bent antenna; it probably depends on the amount of bending. The amount we are talking about here is pretty small. Google "bent radio antenna" and you can read lots of stuff.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS