Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Appreciate your checking me on this but in this case I'm OK. The magnetometer is actually all the way out on the end of the left wing tip. The box you see in the pics is the pitot heat controller. I mounted my pitot tube so that it is inboard of where the wing strut attaches to the wing rather than outboard as called out in the instructions. So my pitot location is even farther away from the wing tip and the magnetometer. Again I do appreciate you and anyone else checking me on this stuff. Far from an expert and have found over the years that I am a pro at dumbazz mistakes.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

No problem, but still... using a compass to verify that you have found a magnetically neutral location for the magnetometer is a good idea.

Ralph

Yup I can see that and will give it a check. If for no other reason than you were really right; better to find out now rather than after the wing is closed up.

Thanks

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Geek - In trying to get caught up on all things Kitfox since returning from Oshkosh, I saw your pictures showing the pitot location/install. In other words: sorry for such a late input.

From your pictures it appears that your AOA and pitot are the same item or at least in about the same location - I can't tell for sure. If so and if you have access to an aerodynamicist you might want to get h/his opinion as to how close they are to the top and leading edge of the lift strut. AOAs especially can be really sensitive to local disturbances and an expert's opinion now might keep you from having to move it after covering and flight tests reveal something you don't like.

Darrel,

Hope you had a great time at Oshkosh. Ducking the Willie Willies must have been certainly interesting.

I am away from home working (have to figure out some way to afford that motor) so don't have access to my pics. Yes the AOA and the pitot are all located in the same unit. The tube actually sticks out about two inches in front of the leading edge of the lift strut and is about three inches above it. The location of the front end of the tube is within what the directions from Garmin call for with respect to the leading edge of the wing. So that being said, it 'should' be OK but I do certainly take notice of inputs from those who have successfully built before me. As luck would have it, one of my friends from my Navy days is an aero and a grad of the Navy Test Pilot School at Pax River. As with all good friends from the Navy, tell them that you have beer and scotch at the ready and it is no problem to get them to visit you. He is coming out early in September, picking me up and flying down to the Tailhook Convention together. With the promise of the aforementioned libations, he has agreed to look at my work so far and point out all my mistakes (he's a giver don't you know). I will bring this up and see what he says.

Thanks again for the input and please keep them coming should you see anything else I should look at or steer away from.

Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Darrel - here's a couple pics I took when I was making sure the pitot tube was going to work mounted inboard of the wing strut attachment point on the wing. You can get the idea of where it sits in relation to the strut itself.

Geek

Pitot Tube Fit 5A 1.jpgPitot Tube Fit 3A 1.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Gary - Although I question the logic of anyone willing to hang out with a squid, specially of the Airedale variety - I'm sure glad that some are still willing to do so. (Otherwise, where would I be?) It is the closeness of the pitot/AOA that makes me think getting another opinion is a good idea. BUT - it just occurred to me. I like the concept of protecting the pitot tube (and eyes, noses and heads in general) by putting it inside the lift strut. Maybe a good back up plan is to duplicate your mounting structure outside the lift strut. If airflow issues caused by having it too close to the strut make where it is unusable, then moving it later would/could be a minor task. (Not so minor after covering is plan B isn't there already.)

Darrel - I can understand the questioning logic of hanging out with those of the squidly persuasion. Fortunately for me I have found them to be the best of friends that I can always count on. Even after many years. I do like the option idea. Not exactly a major weight driver and cheap insurance for certain. I'll see what the expert says and flex from there. I am still a ways out from covering the wings.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Started working on the flaperons. Fabricated the support blocks used to align the control arms for the flaperons. Did the rivets along the trailing edge of the flaperon using 3/32 flat head solid rivets and completed the fitting and installation of the inboard edge. I bought the parts to close out the outboard of the flaperon but am not sure I am going to use them. Still trying to figure a way to make them fit 'nicely'. Any suggestions or hints are welcomed. May require the elixir of all creative thought........bourbon.

Flaperons 2 A.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

The plastic outboard flaperon ends are quick and easy to use, but I still think balsa end caps are sturdier and can be fit very nicely.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS