Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Those look really nice Gary! I’m sure others had done similar things well before I did that. It was one of the best mods I did to improve the Kitfox for me, especially with my long legs.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Wink Re: Geek's STi Build

Gary, I have been sitting in my plane with legs bent a little thinking I need to do something like that myself to stay off the brakes. It would be very easy if the factory pedals had room for another hole for the brake cylinders. I like yours. How far behind on shipping those are you?? Haha
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Harlan I do have a piece of Delrin left over from the piece I made them from that is enough to make four more. Yours if you want it.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Thank you Gary!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

I wonder if some adjustment in geometry on the pedal is in order. Even us short leg peeps have issue in this regard. On account of having adjustable pedals, as the pedals come aft to meet my feet, the angle of the pedal changes such that the problem presents itself for us short legged pilots as well. I have noticed I have applied the brakes on takeoff before. I will likely be applying this mod as well.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

IMO Eddie the hole that mounts the brake cylinder needs moved up on the pedal or the pedal pivot point moved down. If there was any metal higher it would be a simple fix by just moving the hole but there is no extra above the current hole so it would have to be added.
    The easy way is to add a piece as Gary has done. I may fix the pedal someday but I want to fly asap now so I will add the bottom piece as shown.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Also very important when you start flying your new Kitfox to make this a part of your briefing to passengers as well. Very easy for them to unconsciously apply brake pressure that you won't know about. Before every landing with a passenger , important to ask "feet off the pedals?" Bruce N199CL

Excellent advice!
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex

Finally reached a point to get back to making some real progress on the build. Part of my issue was that I wasn't impressed with the way the banjo fitting interfaced with the #1 rib and didn't like the rubber hose and hose clamp interface. So I ordered some parts to basically assess options I might have. I ordered a different type of banjo fitting and decided that the fuel lines would be better off using AN6 PFTE hose and fittings. So while waiting (I'm not good at waiting by the by) I fabricated the butt rib close out plates and the plates for the fuel gauge. I also purchased some carbon fiber arrow shafts to glue into the trailing edge of the wings to help stiffen them rather than the aluminum tubing suggested in the manual. Had to paint the shafts due to the galvanic corrosion that occurs between the aluminum and the fiber.

After receiving the parts and looking at how the 'new' banjo fitting interfaced, I decided to go with the one from Kitfox as it fit better once you got the ribs trimmed. I liked the new banjo fitting's use of an allen wrench to tighten it but it was just a bit too fat both in width and diameter. Would have taken some additional trimming on the rib and I just didn't want to go there. I am still going to use the PFTE hose and transition the banjo fitting over to AN6 fittings. The good news is that now that I was able to see how things were going to work, I was able to actually glue in the fuel tanks. Tomorrow I can start making some better progress and work on installing the #2 rib along with the false ribs.

Butt Rib Close OutA.jpgOptional Banjo Fitting3A.jpgOptional Banjo Fitting4A.jpgOptional Banjo FittingA.jpgLeft Wing Tank 1A.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Gary,

I don’t have the STi wing, so there may be some differences from what I found with my standard wing. I considered using the SS braided PTFE hose also, but decided not to because of the considerably greater flexibility of the quality rubber fuel line that I did use. It put much less strain on everything, especially considering that I wanted to be able to fold the wings. No doubt you’ve already considered this, but make sure you determine how those hose sections have to move and slide against things when folding. I used teflon hose from my header tank up to shut-off valves for each tank, then came out of the valves with relatively short sections of the rubber hose. The possible abrasive effect of the braided sheath was also considered. Just thought I’d mention that.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime