Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    That is a very nice panel Gary. I like the way you labeled the plugs; I used a marker on the back, haha. Shows you are in a class above me. Haha
    Your wiring looks great and the detail securing of the wires is very nice.
    Far from correct Harlan. Your plane is a beaut and you all did a great job on it. Was envious of how you made it a family event and the smiles all said they were happy to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Your panel is top notch! I enjoy seeing the attention to detail in your work.

Good stuff Gary.
    Thanks Brett. Coming from you after seeing how nice your paint is coming out is a true compliment. It's snowing here like a big dog so have done more plowing and helping neighbors then airplane today and most likely tomorrow. (when you have over a foot of snow and a tractor with a big blower - your neighbors who have small hand-pushed blowers all like you. And they pay with beer!!!).

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Finally something to slow you down!
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Ullr, the Norse god of snow and ice obviously heard your request and granted it. This is the third day in a row I have not been able to work on the plane cause of snow and ice trying to keep stuff cleared out. C'mon Alex - give a guy a break!!! I'll wire slow. I promise.

Hope you had a great holiday. Was interested to hear what your Lane problem with the ferry flight turned out to be. Those lights seem to have some life of their own sometimes.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Finally got to start wiring on the Garmin system. One of the things I learned about wiring D Sub connectors back in my working days (daze?) was to put a black mark on both sides of the connector to ID pin 1. No matter how the connector is oriented or if it's the male or female side, it's easier to place pins with that visual reference. I wired in the mount and power supply for the iPad display. I also got the autopilot wired in as well. Since I have a G5 in the mix as a back up attitude indicator, it has its own GPS antenna to connect. I saw an install (maybe at the Kitfox factory during the fly in) where this antenna was mounted on a bracket attached to the panel support rod. Thought that was a pretty clean way so I bent up my version of the bracket and match drilled it to the support rod so that I can rivet it on when I'm ready. Happy New Year to all of you!!

Gary

IMG_2115.JPGUSB Install.JPGIMG_2113.JPGIMG_2114.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

That antenna bracket is a work of art. Well done, Gary!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Not bad for an Ol' swab. You're a cut above this old box puller, that's for sure. Good stuff!

Happy New year to you as well!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    That antenna bracket is a work of art. Well done, Gary!
    Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Not bad for an Ol' swab. You're a cut above this old box puller, that's for sure. Good stuff!

Happy New year to you as well!
    Thanks guys. Definitely not a cut above anyone - just lucky enough to have had people with the real skill who took the time to teach me stuff and a box brake in the shop that makes metal bending like that possible. I'll whip out my HVLP sprayer and you all will get a great laugh!!

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Have been pretty much focused on wiring in the panel/Garmin boxes and preparing for wiring in the firewall forward engine bay requirements this whole time. Still need to wire in the VPX power out connectors which is on the list for this coming week. Ran into one hiccup wiring in the Lane A/B LED lights. Left my soldering iron heat turned up a bit too hot when connecting the Lane A LED. It opened up the connection inside the LED itself so now that LED is inop. Heather is taking care of my mistake as we speak. Rookie mistake on my part. The LEDs themselves looked like they were ones that had the current resistor integrated so I asked Brandon if the factory was installing the resistors called out in the instructions. He said they weren't so obviously the current resistors are already there. The LED polarization also isn't marked directly or in any of the other ways LEDs are done (i.e. long/short leads). So the other question for Brandon was which lead was hot. For others reading this, the gold lead is hot and the silver lead is ground. Just for fun I hooked a 9V battery up to see how bright those lights were and they were definitely bright. So I went ahead and put the resistors into the circuit. It did dim them down somewhat but certainly will still be able to see them in direct sunlight.

Wiring 6.JPGwiring 3.JPGWiring 4.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Gary, if electric wiring can be pretty you win the beauty contest, very nice and super neat , great job. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    Gary, if electric wiring can be pretty you win the beauty contest, very nice and super neat , great job. Bruce N199CL
    Thanks Bruce. Appreciate the compliment but still have to smoke check it so the functional block check isn't in the bag just yet. Have been working on ringing out the connectors just to check and if I said so far they have been perfect - I would be lying. Literally found the GMU-11 connector (first one I did a long time ago when working on the wings) pinned in a mirror image. The good news is that it made me more inclined to check all the rest of the connectors.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG