Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

The little wood blocks with tee nuts are a clever idea; I like that!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    The little wood blocks with tee nuts are a clever idea; I like that!
    Thanks Eric. Best part about them was that they worked as planned!!

Firewall Attach 3.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Beauty. The first owner of my kit glued a bunch of oddly-spaced metal tabs to one of the lateral tubes. I've been mulling what to do instead; now I have the answer!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I installed the GPS antenna in its bracket under the side of the baggage bag. Went in just like it was made for it. Oh. It was. Big news is that I have been inducted into the "Grind The Heck Out Of A 3/8 Wrench" club to install the rudder. I had read that getting the bolts in and the nuts on/tightened is a pain. I can confirm this. Max lesson in patience to not throw tools when you have two bolts in and drop the third one inside the rudder so you have to take it all apart to retrieve the bolt. I also rigged the rudder pedals and cables which meant I swedged the nicopress on both sides and was really happy with the results. The pedals don't hit the firewall when fully pressed and the pilot/copilot pedals all line up when the rudder is neutral. I also started the install of the tail light on the rudder. REALLY did not like cutting the hole for the wire to exit the inside of the rudder but it worked out. I did have to open up the inside of the fairing with a Dremmel so that should I ever have to do maintenance back there and remove the rudder, the connector for the light will slide by and clear the fairing as the rudder comes off. The connector would not clear the fairing otherwise. I'll permanently fasten the fairing to the rudder tomorrow and install the light itself into the fairing.

GPS Antenna.JPGWrench Mod.JPGRudder Installed.JPGTail Light Wired.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Those rudder bolts will test your patience. When I test fit mine I pretended the fabric was in place both visually and to prevent me from cheating to access the hardware. Once my covering is done I hope to install it and leave it for many years.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Been working some of the things I needed to complete in order to continue with putting the firewall on full time and starting with the firewall forward stuff. I finished installing the tail light and successfully tested it with a battery and the wires that run to the front. I started the heater installation but decided to do it a little different and not use the Adel clamps but rather built some aluminum cross mounts. The good news is that the install looks like it will be just fine but the bad news is that I am waiting for a couple longer bolts to mount the fans since my way makes the bolts Kitfox supplied about a half inch too short. I liked the idea where Dustin put a valve on the water line to the heater so you can shut it off in summer so I got that installed as well. I bought the 40Amp external alternator for my install and figured I would also put in the 22,000uf capacitor to make life a little easier on the voltage regulators. Built a mount for the cap and plan to put it on the firewall. Got my stick grips mounted to the control sticks and wired them into a Y cable which will allow me to run a single set of wires up to the instrument panel for the different buttons on the stick.

Tail Light Installed 2.JPGHeater Valve.JPGCap Mount 1.JPGCap Mount 2.JPGStick 5.JPGStick 4.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Default Looking For Options/Suggestions

Stein has told me that my panel has shipped so I am trying to get some things done so that when it gets here, I can play with that (wiring etc). Ran the fuel lines from the shut off valve and the check valve to the firewall and am in the process of running the wires that I have run already from the back of the plane, up to the area behind the firewall. Between the front of the console, fuel lines, rudder cable tension rollers and brake lines to the parking brake, that area is getting pretty busy. My first look at this was to build a cross member that holds the wiring back and away from the rollers and hold them with an Adel clamp. I keep looking at that knowing there are more things coming up through there (wing lights/magnetometer/pitot tubing) and wondering if there isn't a better way. So looking for any suggestions on how you all addressed this. The pic is what it looks like with the crossmember install. The wiring is kept about a quarter inch from the right side roller/springs through the full adjustment range. Thought about attaching the wire bundle to the fuel lines but always thought that was verboten.

Thanks ahead of time.

Gary

Front.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

You are 100% correct. But you knew that already!

Quote from AC 43.131B chapter 8 paragraph 31 page 8-19
    b. Routing. Make sure that the line does
    not chafe against control cables, airframe
    structure, etc., or come in contact with electrical
    wiring or conduit. Where physical separation
    of the fuel lines from electrical wiring or
    conduit is impracticable, locate the fuel line
    below the wiring and clamp it securely to the
    airframe structure. In no case should wiring be
    supported by the fuel line.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    You are 100% correct. But you knew that already! ........
    Yeah maybe. It was one of those things I had heard over the years but never seen so while it made sense, if it was notional on someone's part then I didn't want to be locked in to not doing it. Appreciate the quote on what the rule 'really' is.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Received my panel back getting labled from Stein and am really happy with it. They did a nice job and were great to work with. Looking forward to populating it with the avionics and start the wiring. I finally secured all the wiring coming up from the back of the fuselage and the wiring from the wings (Magnetometer, nav lights, landing lights and pitot heat). Built a cross beam to secure the wiring to which will keep it clear of the tension rollers for the rudder cables as well as away from the two fuel lines going to the firewall feed through. Attached the trim tab to the rudder. Might have to make this a bit larger but decided this is my starting point. Will zero on on the size once we start flying. Last but not least, I mounted the brakes and tires to the struts. All these little things I wanted done before I actually start wiring.

Panel 1.jpgFwd Wiring.JPGRud Trim Tab.JPGWheels.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG