Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Took Dustin's inputs to heart and got ready to do the rib 1 stack on the right wing. Figured I may have ducked the bullet on the left one and wasn't going to take the chance of learning the hard way. So I spent yesterday coming up with the supports required to hang one wing without the whole thing tipping over. Made two stands, notched the ribs of the stack for attachment and today, hung the right wing on the fuselage and Hysol'd in the first rib of the stack. I'll sleep better tonight I think knowing the spars are flexed and it fits up.

Right Wing Attached.jpgRight Wing Attach 2.jpgRight Rib1.jpgRight Rib 1 B.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Looking good! Glad it all worked out. We did the same thing and you will use your jig down the road to support one wing. I lost track how many times a wing went on and off.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Worked on the false ribs installation and mounted the left wing onto the fuselage to fit the butt rib. Got it all dialed in and then pulled the butt rib off so I can do the rest of the work to get it ready for final install. Plan to Hysol the false ribs and the aluminum strip on the butt rib tomorrow as well as mount the right wing and start the right butt rib fitment. I am certainly not Speed Racer on this. Spent a lot of time measuring three times so I only had to cut, drill and cleco once.

Left Wing On.jpgLeft Butt Rib Install.jpgLeft Butt Rib Install 1.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

I too spend lots of times measuring so hopefully I only cut once. Your build is looking good!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Thanks Harlan. Between your build and Dustin's I spend a lot of time checking your logs out to see if what you did is what I am thinking I should do after reading the directions.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Got a little more done. I had questions on the jury strut install instructions which held me up a bit. Didn't want to mess up so early in the build. I got the answers from a couple people here on the forum and from Brandon which alleviated the issue and was able to press on. Got both jury struts installed, figured out where and how to mount the magnetometer and pitot tube, and am going to pull the wings back off (mostly to get my shop back to its normal set up and the Jeep back inside). Thanks again to all who chimed in on the instruction question I had.

Gary

Lift Strut Rot.jpg Jury strut Bracket ROT.jpg Right Jury Strut 1Rot.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Have been working on the mounts in the left wing for the pitot tube (heated), thermostat for the pitot tube, OAT, and Magnetometer. When my wings were on the fuselage and leveled, I made a reference line on the left wing tip that was level as well so I could put the wing back into the level flight condition when it was on the rotisserie. In one pic you can see the stick that is clamped on that line so I can set my level on it to dial that in. I made the magnetometer mount so I could slide the magnetometer in and out relatively easy and see how many clamps I could use to glue up the frame. The reason I made it a bit long was to be able to support the connector going to the magnetometer since it's a bit long with the CANBUS termination attached. The OAT mount is set up so that the mount sets in between those sides so I can tighten (and later check to be sure it's still tight) without having to go inside the wing. The aluminum strip is there so I can ground it since the Garmin install says they like the sensor to sit on metal. I'll start epoxying all the parts tomorrow.
    OAT Mount 2 - Copy.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Today was spent finishing up the varnishing of the mounts for the magnetometer, pitot tube, pitot tube controller and the OAT probe. Also sloshed out the fuel tanks with acetone and gas as the factory says to. Was not looking forward to that job. Tried it the first time using green tape to seal off the fill port as suggested in the sheet attached to the tank and that was an epic fail. Acetone and fuel leaked all over. Figured out a way to seal off the filling port on the tanks. Used the top of a spray can of paint, trimmed the outside down to about a half inch from the top, put a rubber gasket inside it and taped it down to the filler using electrical tape. Worked perfectly. Also note the two holes in the top to act as a vent. The acetone and gas build up quite the pressure when mixed. I drilled 2 #30 holes in the top and when I sloshed near the filler, I just put my finger over it. When I was sloshing elsewhere, I left it open and you could hear the air coming out. Near the end of the third go, I got a little help from one of the locals here.

Tank Seal 2.jpgTank Seal.jpgTank Seal 3 A.jpgTank Seal 4 A.jpgTank Help A.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Finally got time to get back to the plane. I admit I was not looking forward to this part (sort of like sloshing the fuel tanks) because it could be pretty messy. But I got the spars primed internally using the slosh method and tennis balls wrapped in plastic. That tip was perfect. They didn't leak at all. Also found that after we (had my lovely assistant helping) were done sloshing the paint around inside and draining the major portion of what was left in each spar, we put a small cup that I normally use for mixing Hysol over the ends to contain the slow dripping. Worked perfectly. I also did the cut out on the inside rib of the #1 rib stack to clear the fuel tank out feed. You can see the cut out the factory did on the outside rib of the stack but I liked the opening I did on the inside which took out that sharp point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Waiting for some parts I want for the fuel tank install so I am in a slow hold short. Going to try a different banjo fitting that transitions to an AN6 connection rather than a barbed hose. My thought was to use PFTE hose rather than the fuel line included in the kit. Had read a couple threads saying that they had to replace that line later due to a light smell of fuel in the cockpit. Once I get those parts I'll be on it again.

When I was waiting for my kit, I was going through other build logs looking for good ideas and such. One of the ideas I liked was from John Evens and his blocks on the base of the rudder pedals to help keep from inadvertently applying brakes. Long as he kept his heels on the floor. So today I added them to my rudder pedals to see how I like them. Certainly not permanent but if they help then it's a good thing. Thanks for the idea here John.
    Gary

Rudder Pedal Ext.jpgRudder Pedal Ext 1.jpgRudder Pedal Ext 2.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning