Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Thanks Gary, so much information for me to take on board for my build. Fantastic build thread

I completed covering the left side and left half of the top of the fuselage along with the right landing gear strut and the bottom of the horiz stab. I think I am about half way done now. I have read other logs where builders are happy when done with the covering. You may count me as being among that group. With the left side done, I will be installing the static ports since it will be easier to put the left one in and fit/cut the tube for the right side without the right skin installed. Also going to install the baggage sack and mark off where I want to install the zippers in the back of it to gain easy access behind. My transponder and trim controls are back behind it so I want it to be easy access.

Horiz Stab Cvr 5.JPGStrut Cover 2.JPGFuselage Cvr 4.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Hello Mr. Phenning,

I’ve noticed some red stuff over the heads of all your nuts and bolts. I assume that is to help you tell if they have come loose, it looks very professional. May I ask what it is called please? Thanks a lot, I pray my build will look as good as yours as I progress.

Matt
    Matt Koeniguer building the KingFox
    https://www.youtube.com/@KingFox76
    KitFox Model 7STi
    Monster Shocks - 29” Alaskan Bushwheels & TW
    Engine - Wanted Rotax, now considering the Viking 150
    Propeller - MT, now probably a DUC for the Viking
    Stits Poly Fiber

Matt - It's called Permatex Bolt Mark. Here's an Amazon link for the stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-Bolt...s%2C202&sr=8-1

It's used to tell if a nut/bolt is coming loose but for me it's a quick visual clue if I have tightened the fastener up to the correct torque and it doesn't require me to go back and tighten/adjust it later. I also bought a bunch of regular nuts, painted them red and use them in place of where standard self locking nuts will be used in the final assembly (again so I know by looking that it's not complete). Technically you're not supposed to re-use those nuts I guess.

I'm sure your build will be great. Best advice is don't hurry - take your time and read the directions. If those don't give you a good idea of what you need to do - ask the question here on the forum. There are some really smart, experienced people here that will take their time to give you great answers.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

[QUOTE=Geek;105788]Matt - It's called Permatex Bolt Mark. Here's an Amazon link for the stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-Bolt...s%2C202&sr=8-1

Thanks Gary, I love the idea. It is a great visual clue and I think it dresses up the build at the same time. Thanks for the link, I’ve added it to my TGL (To Get List) as I am going to incorporate that into my build also since I’m much farther behind. I am taking my time, sometimes a second and a third! I don’t know if I read in your posts early on when you were putting in your seat pan but I did see some complex math in there for figuring out an arc’s location.

While I’m here, I was looking at your wing rotisserie. I didn’t see if you offered up any plans so I will just ask a question. Does glued together PVC really support a wing from both sides or do you have some sort of reinforcement inside those pipes? I bought some 2” PVC to go on the wall early on to hang my wing tips on but they didn’t end up fitting, so I assume you are using 1-½”?

Thanks again and have a great day.

Matt
    KitFox Model 7STi
    Stits Poly Fiber

Yeah the 2 inch glued works just fine. Sorry for the short answer. Attending the Tailhook convention in Reno So connection is scarce

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Ok Gary thanks. Full Speed Ahead!
    KitFox Model 7STi
    Stits Poly Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwood View Post
    ............. I don’t know if I read in your posts early on when you were putting in your seat pan but I did see some complex math in there for figuring out an arc’s location.

While I’m here, I was looking at your wing rotisserie. I didn’t see if you offered up any plans so I will just ask a question. Does glued together PVC really support a wing from both sides or do you have some sort of reinforcement inside those pipes? I bought some 2” PVC to go on the wall early on to hang my wing tips on but they didn’t end up fitting, so I assume you are using 1-½”?

Thanks again and have a great day.

Matt
    Home again after seeing a bunch of good friends and copious libations. The seat belt side hole locations were a bit of a pain. Think I saw the same post you did on developing the arc to define the cuts. I think I took a couple shots at drawing it on the seat pan before I actually thought it looked OK and was good to cut. As for the rotisserie, I looked at some of the plans that I found on Google (where else?) and then made some measurements on my wings to be sure they would fit. Yes the PVC is 1 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC and I have had zero issues with it holding. Not sure the thin PVC would hold but the Schedule 40 does. You're making good progress!!

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Hello Gary, sounds like a good time was had.

I’m not much of a plumber so I will have to look into the schedule 40 PVC. I’d like to get them off the wall for sure and be able to spin them about much like my fuselage which I think I have figured out. I’ll have to get on the Google and look for some plans. Thanks again Gary, you have a good day.
    KitFox Model 7STi
    Stits Poly Fiber

Been busy working on the right side of the fuselage and the horiz stab. Have to be sure I stay ahead of Alex M. The right side of the fuselage is done. I made some doublers to go around the fitting where the rudder cable exits the fuselage. They will support the Oratex there so I don't have any issues later on. The plan is to make a fairing that will go over the exit point and nicely cover this spot. The doubler will provide me some support for the fairing as well. I completed the horiz stab covering so that part is ready for finishing tapes along with all the rest of the parts. I did put finishing tapes on the fuselage so that's complete. Since I am getting ready to close off the right top of the fuselage, I installed the transponder so it is good to go.

Gary

Fus Cvr Rt 1.JPGFus Cvr Rt 3.JPGRdr Cbl Doubler 1.JPGRdr Cbl Doubler 4.JPGHoriz Stab Done.JPGIFF 1.JPGIFF 2.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG