Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Gary, I recieved my 912iS two years prior to first run. My manual states the engine should be prepared for long storage every two years even in the crate. Warranty would be questionable if you don't do the long storage preparation. My warranty expired after one year from purchase as well.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Gary, I recieved my 912iS two years prior to first run. My manual states the engine should be prepared for long storage every two years even in the crate. Warranty would be questionable if you don't do the long storage preparation. My warranty expired after one year from purchase as well.
    I think I had read this about your engine before Eddie. I think too that we both had the same reason for ordering it when we did; the price was going to go up. I'll keep an eye on it and with some luck I can get it run early next year. But that will certainly take some luck. If I don't then I'll just suck it up and know that I am in the boat I am in but made a conscious decision to get there.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Did the trim motor screw adjustment. Used the battery from my Jeep to run the trim motor full nose up and setting the distance between the horizontal stab and the fuselage frame using a block I had cut that it was 7/16 of an inch. Ran the trim full down to verify full motion. Disconnected the trim motor from the horizontal stab and used another block to set the distance from the stab to the fuselage from at 1 and 5/16 inch. With that clamped in place, I rigged the elevator controls to spec. With that done, I was able to center my autopilot servo and install the servo arm stop.

Trim Rig.jpgElev Rig.jpgElev Rig 80 deg.jpgAuto Pilot Stop.jpg

My GTX-45R transponder is on back order until mid-July or so. My plan is to mount the unit just behind the baggage sack on a plate I fabricated back there. I have been slowly getting things together to start skinning the fuselage and that got me to thinking what a pain that was going to be to install the transponder with the skin on. I asked Stein (who I bought all my avionics from) if I could possibly get the accessories kit for the transponder now so I could get it all ready to go and they shipped it to me. I fabricated the brackets to hold the mount and made sure that the unit points directly towards the cockpit. The Bluetooth antenna is located on the front of the transponder and communicates the ADSB In information to my iPad that way.

45R Mount 1.jpg45R Mount 2.jpg45R Mount 3.jpg45R Mount 4.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Dang, that is some nice sheet metal work.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Gary, I'm pretty sure after flying awhile you are going to want to set your trim adjustment not by the book, but so it almost kisses the bottom of the slots in the tail access panels when fully bottomed out. You will need all the nose-up trim you can get when using full flaps (and nearly so even with half flaps). This setting still gives you plenty of nose-down trim. Just sayin.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Dang, that is some nice sheet metal work.
    Thanks Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Gary, I'm pretty sure after flying awhile you are going to want to set your trim adjustment not by the book, but so it almost kisses the bottom of the slots in the tail access panels when fully bottomed out. You will need all the nose-up trim you can get when using full flaps (and nearly so even with half flaps). This setting still gives you plenty of nose-down trim. Just sayin.
    Good to know Jim and thanks. After reading about some other's experiences, I thinking about that when I set it but like everything else experimental, once I'm done building just means I can still 'adjust'.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I appreciate the nice sheet metal work as well. Good of Stein to work with you on the gtx-45r mount.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Thanks Brett. I was really pleased when Stein so quickly said yes and then shipped it the same day. I finished fitting the rack in today and started wiring the connector. The whole time thinking if I had had to do this wiring laying on the baggage floor with a light strapped to my head that my shop would not be a safe place for any other living creatures.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I went with a different design of the fuel site gauge from the Kitfox version. One of the forum members came up with this alternate version which allows you to just slip it on and screw it to the rib. I apologize because I saw this idea on the forum back when I was reading everything I could find while waiting for my kit to be delivered. The member posted a pic which I copied so I had some record of the idea but I didn't make a note of who it was and I can't find it again. Thank you to whoever it was. The modified plate just seemed easier and cleaner to me so I did it that way. I also safety wired and Hysol'd my wiring troughs to the frame while I had the fuselage off the roll around cart.

Fuel Site Gauge 2.jpgFuel Site Gauge 1.jpgWire Trough 1.jpgWire Trough 2.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Hi Gary, wish I had made mine that way. FWIW, I would consider using the padded adel clamps for anything wrapping around the frame tubing. You will find that the wire will cut through the tape eventually. I found I had to replace those that I had done that way and I was using zip ties.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X