Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 20 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Have been neglecting my airplane work due to real work (the kind that pays for the airplane work) and Winter clean up on the property. But today the weather gods cooperated (meaning it snowed this morning and rained all afternoon) so I was able to go play in the shop. My goal is to finish off stuff in the fuselage so that I can start doing the covering. I ordered and received my Oratex glue so now I am on the clock so to speak. I final installed the rear equipment tray for the trim boost and (later on) the transponder. I have the wiring there so was able to get that set up. Just need to put the pins in the connector for the transponder - all marked and ready - just need the connector. I also ran the static line from the back where the static ports are going, up to the front where they connect into the Garmin. Guess I really didn't realize how much stuff is at the rear of the plane that needs to go up to the front. My coil of wire, coax and other stuff is getting bigger and bigger up front all the time. I also started installing the header tank for the fuel system. There is a drain on the bottom of the tank that has a fixture that attaches to the skin of the aircraft so I need that installed before I can cover. In getting the tank ready to install, I didn't like the way it mounted with respect to parts of the fuselage. I initially thought a 1/4 inch spacer between the fuselage mounting tab and the tank would do the trick but once I fabricated one up, I thought a 1/8 inch spacer would be better. As it turned out, three of the four attachment points got the 1/8 inch spacer and one got a 1/4 inch spacer to make up for a little more of a gap between the tank and the one mounting tab. Just made the tank set better and now the fuselage structure won't vibrate against the tank because it doesn't touch it. The bonus is that it appears tomorrow might actually be a shop day as well!!!

P.S. AlexM if you are reading this - THANK YOU for your Oratex videos with all your lessons learned. Bet I have watched 22 and 23 at least three times!! Between you and Harlan I have hope that my covering might work out!!

Gary

Header Tank 5.jpgHeader Tank 4.jpgHeader Tank 2.jpgRear Equipment Tray 1.jpgRear Equipment Tray 2.jpgStatic Line 1.jpgStatic Line 2.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

I'm betting you do a real good job on the oratex!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Gary I read all the build threads and watch all the videos I can find. Harlan has been an inspiration and very helpful. I watched his glare shield fitting video today.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Gary I read all the build threads and watch all the videos I can find. Harlan has been an inspiration and very helpful. I watched his glare shield fitting video today.
    Yeah well like I said - thank you for taking the time to do those vids and then share them with the rest of us. Huge help.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Not a lot of visible progress. Doing a lot of prep work on metal parts and getting the aluminum stuff primed with 2K primer. Did the final fabrication on the spacers for the header tank. The three 1/8 inch and one 1/4 inch spacer worked perfectly. Hysol'd the spacers to the tank mounting tabs, primer and painted the tank, installed the fittings and mounted it into the fuselage. Holds the tank away from the fuselage structure about 1/8 inch all the way around. Now I can mount the drain hose and skin reinforcement for when I start my covering.

Header Tank 6.jpgHeader Tank 7.jpgHeader Tank 8.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Not a lot of work done and the real reason for this is just to note that I received my 912is yesterday!! Yahoo! I am also starting to layout my panel. Slowly. Last but not least - I added a mount for a trim tab on the rudder. The wood in the pic is to make sure the mount is flush with the skin when I do my covering. Right now the plan is to leave the engine in the box for storage till I need it. Don't think I see my firewall forward kit till June or July. Is there anything I should be doing to the engine other than that?

Gary

Motor.jpgPanal Layout 1.jpgTrim Tab 1.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Congratulations on receiving your new 912iS.

Just a suggestion, but you should check the SB from Rotax on the iS engine fuel pumps. Check your serial numbers and if replacement is called for, this is a good time to get it done before you put your new engine in service. (Replacement is free, except shipping out, LEAF (Leading Edge AirFoils) is an authorized service center.)

Ralph

Gary, I was very impressed with that engine when I took my tailwheel training. The standard winged kitfox didn't seem to matter what we did the fuel burn showed 3.5 per hour. Very impressive hp for the fuel burn.
    Everything your doing is looking good!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    Gary, I was very impressed with that engine when I took my tailwheel training. The standard winged kitfox didn't seem to matter what we did the fuel burn showed 3.5 per hour. Very impressive hp for the fuel burn.
    Everything your doing is looking good!
    Thanks Harlan. Probably not as impressive as that 915 of yours but since have already been fast, I am thinking this will be perfect

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Congratulations on receiving your new 912iS.

Just a suggestion, but you should check the SB from Rotax on the iS engine fuel pumps. Check your serial numbers and if replacement is called for, this is a good time to get it done before you put your new engine in service. (Replacement is free, except shipping out, LEAF (Leading Edge AirFoils) is an authorized service center.)

Ralph
    Good idea Ralph. I saw that SB here on the forum and was hoping that since the engine was literally brand new, I would be good to go. But...... better to check it. Appreciate the input.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning