Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 19 of 60 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Thanks Steve.
    I had thought about that but I figured that most of the time if I am out playing, the wife is not going to let me go with an empty seat so there would be another (hopefully) working headset sitting right there. Instead of trying to swap plugs I would swap headsets. Of course Murphy being the fine fellow he is, will probably bite me one of those few times I am flying single seat so I'll just have to remember to throw the wife's headset in.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Took a little time off from the plane to go visit my cousins in Phoenix and as a bonus, got to see Steve's (DesertFox4) Kitfox. The real bonus for that little trip was Steve and I got to take a little flight around the area. The mountains around Sedona are really beautiful so that was a very cool flight. Today I got to get back to my plane. Installed the cables for the pilot and copilot headsets, tie wrapped them to the fuselage down to the wiring channel. Ran them through the wiring channel to the front of the fuselage so once I install the avionics, they will be ready to connect. The baggage sack will get the holes cut in it to clear the jacks. Then the jacks are installed into the upper plate which will cover the holes in the sack and hold the jacks securely. The empty hole on the plate is for my 3.5mm recording jack that I can connect a GoPro to and record intercom and radio. I put a jack on each side since I think the GoPro mount can move around some. Not shown but I also installed the baggage sack so this time I am certain that the mounts won't interfere with the sack attachment points.

Gary

Headset 8.jpgHeadset 9.jpgWire channel.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

👍Nicely done jack plates.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Been a bit busy with those household things that have to be done after being closed up all Winter but did manage to at least get some work done mounting my GPS antenna for the GPS 20. The mount was a bit more fun to build since where I was putting it had no right angles that I could reference (hence the ruler clamped down the center of the opening). Got the basic shape dialed in with paper and then moved on to cardboard to get the sides right. Finally cut it out and bent it up in a pan brake. I made this mount out of .032 6061-T6 since the antenna isn't exactly a heavyweight and the loads were distributed on three of the four sides (OK fine..... it was easier to make and fit using the thinner material) I decided however to add a doubler for the actual antenna mount out of .063. I patterned it after the doubler that Garmin spec'd for externally skin mounting the antenna to aircraft. Got the doubler riveted in and mounted the antenna. The antenna will be covered by the baggage sack but should not have any impact on the ability to receive L Band GPS signals.

GPS Ant 8.jpgGPS Ant 7.jpgGPS Ant 5.jpgGPS Ant 4.jpgGPS Ant 2.jpgGPS Ant 1.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

I opted for the two point door latches and what a pain to get them installed. Almost wish I had just gone with the single point latch. Had to cut an access in my bubble door windows which was certainly not my favorite thing to do. Getting the fore/aft rods dialed in so that they operated easily took a lot of time and patience. One of the issues was installing the spring on the forward rod. Turns out the washer that the spring pushes up against the guide bracket does not sit straight. It hits the bracket which makes it sit at an angle to the shaft and causes it to drag and act like a brake. The fix was to file a notch in the washer to clear the bracket and let it sit flat to the bracket and straight on the shaft. Finally have both doors done and back in storage. Back to doing fun stuff.

Door Latch 6.jpgDoor Latch 12.jpgDoor Latch 14.jpgDoor Latch 13.jpgDoor Latch 15.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Gary, in the end i think you will be happy with the dual pin system even though initial install is tougher. Way back when (late 90's) I went to the Skystar factory for a demo flight , one of the kitfox squawks i had on my test card was that I was able to open the aft end of the door with a push of my elbow in flight on the single latch setup. As I was building my Series 5 , one of the skystar engineers came up with the dual pin system and even though they weren't offering it on production aircraft , I convinced him to send me his drawings for this setup. The real pain was making my own from scratch which as i recall took 2 weeks or so. Some trial and error later I had them fitted and these last 20 years was glad i went that route. The extra work will be worth it in the long run. Bruce N199CL

Hope you're right Bruce. I know I look at them now and think they are a solid way of latching the door and am glad they are done but there were some times there that I was tempted to give the doors a toss off the hill here so they were would have more flight time than the plane once I finished it.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Floorboards are in so it was time to install the rudder pedals. Got the position dialed in on the fuselage by centering the center pivot/bearing and then working on the ends where I found the least resistance to the pedal movement. Clamped that down and then checked the overall assembly to see if it was straight across or a bit cattywompus (technical term). Turns out it was fine - maybe a 1/16" out of line which I attributed to the bearings on the center and end brackets. Drilled the holes for the end brackets and then clamped in the forward floorboard and match drilled it up from the bottom. Temporarily installed the pedal assembly and then shimmed using 3/4" dia fender washers under the brackets to improve the pedal movement. The right side took no shims, the center took 1 shim and the left took 3. Finalized installing the bearing brackets and then located and installed the two brackets for the master brake cylinders using a 1/8" drill to get the proper separation between the bracket and the rudder tubes. Ended up with some very smooth rudder pedals which is great. Lots of putting in and taking out of the assembly to get it dialed in.
    Gary, the black poly you sent me for the rudder pedals, did you leave them full thickness? I am ready to install them to help me stay off the brakes. Thanks Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    Gary, the black poly you sent me for the rudder pedals, did you leave them full thickness? I am ready to install them to help me stay off the brakes. Thanks Harlan
    I did leave them the full half inch. I think John Evans (who I copied these from) also had his about a half inch as well. I attached them using 10-32 machine screws, a piece of rubber that I cut in a circle and a fender washer. Held them perfectly in the holes on the pedal.

Gary

IMG_1358.jpgIMG_1359.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    I did leave them the full half inch. I think John Evans (who I copied these from) also had his about a half inch as well. I attached them using 10-32 machine screws, a piece of rubber that I cut in a circle and a fender washer. Held them perfectly in the holes on the pedal.

Gary

IMG_1358.jpgIMG_1359.jpg
    Thanks, that is very good info. After doing my tailwheel training I think these will help very much staying off the brakes when brakes are not needed!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw