Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I think dimpling those window frame corners is a great idea. I considered it at the time but don't have the tools for it, but I wish I had taken the time to obtain them. You could probably skip the body and fender work on those frames entirely.

Where I'm from (engineering/production environment) Rivnuts are a plague to be avoided at all costs because when (not if) they spin it really stinks. There are certain places where they are about the only solution so: "keyed" Rivnuts only, installed very carefully and treated with kid gloves forever. I do like your loctite idea.

Per the builder tips thread I completed my rudder cable installation a long time ago when it was easy. Since I'm using Oratex and don't need to paint, I can poke them through as I cover the sides of the fuselage. The openings will be much smaller than the ones on my Citabria.
    Yes the dimples were a big difference but not enough to keep me from having to work as a bondo boy. I Hysol'd my left side stringer today but that was it. Guess I have been lucky with my rivnuts. I did have one spin on me long ago but it was one of those smooth aluminum ones and I should have known better. I restored a 65 Corvette and a 70 El Camino in my earlier days and was able to use rivnuts in places that made it so much easier to work on later on. (Corvette guys are probably rolling their eyes reading that - sacrilege!!).

We are doing combat snow over here today. Woke up to over 20" of new snow and after I completed going over all that I have to plow (3 hours for a normally 1 hour job), I looked at the area where I started and there was 6 inches of new. Sure interferes with the building of my plane!!!

G

shed.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Those of us in the lowlands envy you! We had ~6" of snow over Christmas week, then it warmed up and has been raining for several days. We've had >2" of rainfall just since midnight where I live.

Rivers in the Chehalis basin are forecast to reach record or near-record flood stage tonight and tomorrow. The two images below are the peak forecast water levels for the Chehalis and Skookumchuk Rivers at 4:00pm tomorrow. The river that enters the first image at lower left is the Chehalis, which is shown in the second image. There's about 1/2 mile missing between the two. Centralia runs down the middle of the first image and Chehalis is at the bottom of the second.

Chehalis-Centralia Airport (KCLS) is in the center of the second image. According to emails from the airport manager (and EAA Chapter 609 President), it's all-hands-on-deck up there to move aircraft to the highest available ground. Unfortunately, weather conditions preclude VFR relocation flights from KCLS. At least three daredevils tried it this morning, coming down to Toledo (KTDO). Two landed successfully and the third was heard on CTAF turning back. I don't know if he made it; conditions at the time were not VFR.

If these forecasts hold up then the Skookumchuk is going to put virtually all of Centralia under water, and the flooding has already begun. The good folks there could use some prayers.

Skookumchuk at Centralia.jpg

Chehalis at Centralia.jpg

Sorry for hijacking your build thread, Geek...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    ........Sorry for hijacking your build thread, Geek...
    Eric - No worries. Flooding out is way worse than combat snowing and for those of us living up here, your info was germane to us all. My complaint was that I didn't get to work on my airplane as much as I wanted, and in the grand scheme of things my wimpy is nothing. This storm has been a real kicker for everyone. While I have a long driveway to plow, I also have a tractor to plow it with. So it was slow but doable. There were those with walk behind blowers that were having real issues. One of the biggest reasons I like living in a small town is that when this kind of stuff happens, you get all the help you need and give all the help you can. Sort of like this forum eh?

Stay safe my friend.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Sanding the door frame joints which is kind of a pain but almost complete. In between sanding and re-applying the bondo I have been finishing up the VHF antenna mounts in the vertical stab. Mounted the center mount that supports the antenna cable BNC connection as well as the lower mount. Once the Hysol had set, I installed the antenna and am happy with the results. Others who have mounted this dipole antenna in the stab have reported good results so am happy with this. I also built the electrical cable for the trim motor and antenna cables that will run back to the far rear of the fuselage. Need to do the cable for the position light in the tail but am looking at how to run the cable from the fuselage into the rudder. Any inputs on how you all did this would be appreciated.

Gary

Cables.jpgVHF Ant 4.jpgVHF Ant 6.jpgVHF Ant 7.jpgVHF Ant 8.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Save yourself the trouble of running wires across the hinges to the rudder for a rear position light. Get wingtip lights that have a built-in white light that shows from the rear.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Save yourself the trouble of running wires across the hinges to the rudder for a rear position light. Get wingtip lights that have a built-in white light that shows from the rear.
    Well thanks Jim. I like that solution. Especially when the wingtip lights I have do that.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Worked on installing the bottom stringer to the fuselage today. Got it fitted, safety wired and Hysol'd in place. Yeah I know the pic of the front connection doesn't have the safety wire installed. I liked the idea of setting it up with Hysol and clamping it in place for a secure bond. Right after I took the pic I slipped a piece of safety wire through the holes and once the Hysol sets up, I will safety wire the joint.

Bottom Stringer.jpgBottom Stringer 1.jpgBottom Stringer 2.jpgBottom Stringer Front.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

I have finished sanding the door frame and window moldings. I was so sad - NOT!! Today I sprayed primer and got them all dialed in. Really happy with the way they turned out. I had purchased carbon fiber vinyl covering for my center console so for a change of pace after all that flipping sanding and waiting for the primer to dry, I did the covering. I used the 3M 2080 vinyl that is 3.5mil thick so I think it will wear well. If not, it comes off and I can do something else. I was also getting fired up to start fitting doors until I realized that I had bought the stainless steel door channels to keep from beating the heck out of my door frames while getting my empennage in and out of the plane. I need to get them installed before I can work the doors. So a little more fitting in my future I guess.

Door Frame Window.jpgCtr Cnsl Vinyl.jpgDoor Chan.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Door frame moldings are not fun. Yours are looking great!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Door frame moldings are not fun. Yours are looking great!
    Thanks Brett. I fully agree with that statement about not being fun.

I emailed Brandon about the stainless steel thresholds and fitting the doors just to be sure I wasn't going to do something dumb. I mean hey, I have never done anything like that before!!! Brandon got right back to me with some good insight. Fit the thresholds to fit the doors but don't glue them. Once the doors are set, remove the thresholds and set aside until after final paint. Also when they get the Hysol treatment, use a board between the threshold and the clamps to distribute the clamp pressure and preclude the thresholds getting wavy as they set up. Got the right side thresholds fitted so now it's off to do the left.

Gary

Stainless Frame.jpgstainless frame 2.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning