Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Been away at work and time on the plane has been scattered some. I got the top cap on the vertical and stab/rudder coated with Hysol, sanded and primed. Finished fitting the control shaft bearing and pressed in the second shaft to help with the distorting of the bearing when you torque it down (which worked really well) and started assembling the other control assemblies. Made quite a dent in the box of powder coated parts!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Hi Gary. Don't be like me and find out that the gap between the vertical stab and the rudder is too tight. You will need to have a gap to accommodate six layers of fabric, glue, primer and paint. I didn't use paint and still had to turn all my rod end bearings out after Oratex was applied. Not a big deal but it would be nice if you don't have to fuss with those bearings once you have them in. If you have to adjust your rudder out you then have to adjust the rigging if you have done that already. Looking great.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie. I am using Oratex so I am at least ducking the bullet on six layers BUT your advice is still valid in that I think it's too tight for even that. I'll make sure that once I have all the controls to the back installed and am ready to rig them I get that figured out and accounted for. Appreciate the input.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Usually where two fabric surfaces meet, they overlap. Thats two, then the finish tape is a third layer. If anyplace along those two surfaces the joints are in proximity you might say its truly six with Oratex. Ask me how I know.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Thanks Eddie. I am using Oratex so I am at least ducking the bullet on six layers BUT your advice is still valid in that I think it's too tight for even that. I'll make sure that once I have all the controls to the back installed and am ready to rig them I get that figured out and accounted for. Appreciate the input.

Gary
    I had all mine set up and had two layers of 6000 and one 2" tape of 600 and mine rubbed pretty bad. Actually had to shim my rudder stop because I had to move it out so much. But just plan for it and it turns out just fine. Best of luck.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Yeah I was coming to that conclusion here pretty quickly after Eddie chimed in and I started looking at it closer. I knew my 25 degrees was going to be a bit off after I installed the fairings and then had to back out the bearings a bit to get clearance. How did you go about shimming your stops. Been thinking of welding them back a bit but am a bit concerned I might warp it a bit with the heat.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Okay, I see we have come to the modification part.
    On the part that is on the rudder you will notice it is a piece of angle. I drilled and tapped a hole in the vertical portion and placed a bolt through with the head of the bolt now the part that contacts the rudder stops that you may have already trimmed short as I did. I used two jam nuts on each of those bolts to ensure they stay where I put them. Worked out beautifully.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

And this your honor is a better solution! Thanks Eddie!!
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Been working the control linkages for the elevator and ailerons and am happy to say the controls feel smooth as silk. Completed fitting the floorboards so they are ready to be coated. I am using a water-based poly on them that is pretty hardy as far as wear, easy to clean up and most importantly - doesn't stink up the shop!! Am ready to start on the center console and my first step was assembling the flap detent. Again reading the forum, many have added two additional flap positions to their detent and that seemed like a good thing. (C'mon you can never have too many positions - right?) So I added the two and assembled it ready to install on the console.

Control Link 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Assembled the detent brackets for both the flaps and the adjustable rudder pedals. Located and installed the center console on to the aircraft frame. Once done, I installed the flap lever detent bracket by match drilling the bracket to the console with a #40 drill and once the install was tested to insure that the flap handle operated as it should (full range of motion and the lever locked correctly into each of the bracket detents), opened the rivet holes up using a #30 drill. I chose to use flat head vice pop rivets to attach the bracket because my current plan is to cover the console and didn't want the heads of the pop rivets to show up under the covering. I am also not using the trim switch location as defined by the kit so I fabricated and filled the hole with an insert. My trim will be controlled by a switch on the control sticks.

Center Console 2.jpgCenter Console 1.jpgCenter Console 3.jpgCenter Console 8.jpgCenter Console 9.jpgCenter Console 7.jpgCenter Console 12.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning