Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Geek's STi Build

I received my kit special delivery from Heather and Brandon a month ago. Did the normal inventory and then started on the wings. Like SomeDay7, I think I want to get the wings dialed in and then be able to work the fuselage during the Winter months. I bought the pre-built wings along with the pre-rigging based on comments here on the forum saying it was so worth the money. I am at the point where I am going to be installing the Rib #1 stack and the butt rib after a lot of varnishing. Hence not any pics of that since I think varnishing is like watching grass grow. I wanted to do the leveling of the fuselage outside in front of the shop but it's not a level pad. So I did some looking here on the forum and Northof49 (Mike from Canada) had this great platform with scissor jacks. Then I saw that the scissor jacks were on sale at Harbor Freight Aircraft Supply Company so I pressed ahead and copied Mike's idea based on his pics. Next is to add something to bring the tail up to do the final leveling.

Leveling Jig.jpgLeveling Jig1.jpg

Will try and keep up with this on my progress and such. I also have a build log on the EAA site. I am trying to be good at keeping that on up since I plan on using that when I get to the part where I need to show the DAR that I really did build this. Here's the link to that site. https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Gary, If you get 4 friends (one on each jack) to quickly work the jacks you will have the very first Kitfox simulator! Sorry couldn't help it after seeing your post. enjoy the build, Bruce N199CL

Added in the second and third piece of the Rib 1 stack on the left wing. Came out pretty well I think. Had some HYSOL left and so I did the flaperon doublers on ribs 5, 7 and 9. Now it's time to put the left wing back on the rotisserie and do the same work on the right wing.

Left Rib 1 Stack.jpgLeft rib 1 stack 4.jpgLeft Rib 1 stack and Doublers.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Did you glue the 1 rib stack on when the wing was on the fuselage?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I didn't. I got the pre-rigged wings and set the 1 rib stack at the 35 1/2 inches from the 3rd rib. Reading the directions it didn't look like I needed to set the wings on till after the 1 rib stack to check the rigging again and set up the butt rib. Am I setting myself up for a problem?

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Apparently they have not updated their instructions......frustrating!! Hopefully you can fit your wings onto the fuselage because if the spars got moved at all they will not fit. What you don't realize is there is a slight amount of flex in the spar. I would test fit your wings to make sure they fit. If you have not done the other side, I would have the wings on the fuselage before gluing the 1 rib in place. On my brothers we had to surgically remove the 1 rib on one wing. The other wing was fine.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Well I guess I know what I will be doing today. I have not done the other side so there is the good news there. If the wing flexed and doesn't fit I don't think frustrating is the word I might choose. Might be coming back to you on some recommended 'surgery' suggestions.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Fingers crossed!!! If not I can let you know what we did to remove the #1 Rib.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 04-04-2021 at 08:01 AM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Good news! The ruler said that the spar had not flexed but being a firm believer in "Trust but verify", the wife and I went out and hung the left wing. Fit just like it was supposed to. But now as I start on fitting the 1 rib stack to the right wing, I am making the plans in my head that will allow me to final assemble that one while hung. Not sure why your brother's spars flexed and yours (and thankfully mine) didn't but I sure as heck am not going to take this opportunity to Hysol the assembly up with the wing not hung and find out.

Dustin I really appreciate you jumping in like you did. Even if it could have been bad news. If you see me doing something wrong or have a better idea of how to do it (cause you did do a kind of OK job on your plane. Just kinda though (joking for certain!!)) please feel free to jump in.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

That’s great news! I think my brothers rib was a little too tight so when he slid it on it pulled just ever so slightly enough to cause it to flex and not fit. Didn’t realize it until it was glued in place. It was some serious brain damage to fix so I am happy for you that you don’t have to go through that. Good job and keep moving forward!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!