Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Gear Press Tool

Default Gear Press Tool

Got my press tool for the engine gearbox done. Went to work late last night and used the press to take it apart. That tube is 5" OD with 1/4 inch walls, DOM steel. I just couldn't pay $200 for the tool from Lockwood Aviation. Squared up one side and turned the other face so they are parallel. Polished the face that presses on the gear. Then cut out the windows to allow access to the keepers. To finish the work I need several protection buttons, sleeves and pullers. Looks like I can make most of what I need.

I did buy some tooling from Lockwood but for sure I'll make what I can. If you have a lathe it's crazy not to.

IMG_0454.jpg
    Building a KF IV Classic

Default Re: Gear Press Tool

I did buy this tool: 877 190 "Insertion Jig". The sprag clutch on my "scrap" engine failed which is why it wouldn't start. The freewheel gear needs to be replaced but it won't come off because the water pump gear on the camshaft is in the way. Hal said to use a puller to take it off. Thing is there is very little room behind that gear. The camshaft does not have thrust bearings so I can't put any force on it. I made a backplate and tried a puller but that plate just bent. Did have to make a plug. A socket just wouldn't work, needed a divot to mate with the ball bearing. Took a lot of pressure to pull that gear.
    IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg
    Building a KF IV Classic

Very Nice!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Sorry guy's I took the liberty to turn the photos.
    At first, I could even figure the drill press.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Made a DIY "extractor assembly" using a 1/2" steel plate. 1st job is to press out the propeller shaft. So much work to make the plate but then pushing out the shaft was easy.
    IMG_0463.jpg
    Building a KF IV Classic

View of the plate, puller and protection slug. The holes were marked one at a time with a transfer punch and then drilled out so everything matches the case.
    IMG_0465.jpg
    Building a KF IV Classic

Next job is to replace the rear prop seal. Will need to notch the bottom of the plate to clear the driving gear. Also looks like I need to enlarge the center hole to clear the insertion jig. The Rotax prices for these tools are just nuts.

IMG_0466.jpg
    Building a KF IV Classic