Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Spark Plug Caps

Default Spark Plug Caps

I just replaced all my spark plug caps with new purchased from California Power Systems in Corona. These were >$40.00 each. They were listed as:
    https://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rt...ax15-09442.php . These were listed for the 912 series.

When I went to change them out, I took off NGK VD05FMH 5 ohm caps. They had the number 7 on the collar right around where the spark plug goes in. I looked these up on Amazon and found:
    https://www.amazon.com/8425-NGK-Spar...omotive&sr=1-3 .
    This looks like the exact same cap. They cost 27% of what I paid CPS. The old ones I took off were working fine but since I had no idea how long they were in use and the Rotax service period is to replace at 200hrs, I replaced them with a spark plug and oil change. Now I am wondering if these from Amazon would have been just fine to use. Have any of you out there used these?
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Default Re: Spark Plug Caps

I got mime from the local farm & fleet store. 500 hours later still running flawlessly.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Replace spark plug caps at 200 hours?? The ROTAX specs do not call for that. Rather, the specs say you should inspect the caps every 200 hours for their ability to remain fastened to the spark plugs (Minimum pull-off force is 30 N or 7 pounds). I have over 1,000 hours on my original caps and they are working fine.

I stand corrected, I misstated that. The plugs were to be replaced @ 200hrs because of 100LL use > 30% of the time. I was having one cap come off over and over so I looked back in the logs and couldn't find where the previous owner had documented ever replacing them. I flew this morning and all is well. I guess the question should be could I have used the caps from Amazon rather than from CPS and I believe the answer is yes but, hindsight is 20/20.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ