Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avionics question

Default Re: Avionics question

I've got all garmin and a VPX. Keep the VPX closest to most electronics (if that's dash or behind seats). Although if you'd planning on physical buttons/switches on the dash, probably best to keep it under the dash. It's A LOT of wiring. If i did it again I would put the gsu behind the seats just to keep from having to run static, pitot and AOA to the dash. You could probably put the gtr20 behind the seats too. Would also make it easier to keep separation between coax and electrical. Gea24 is best under the dash.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

The VPX can go wherever you like but there are consequences. I suspended my VPX from the two braces that support the instrument panel immediately forward of my radio stack. You might say I have violated some guidance provided by some here. I have antenna and ELT in close proximity to one another, No ground planes, GPS antenna very near my radios etc etc. I have not had an ounce of trouble with regard to any of it. You will need to run a large gauge cable from the Battery to the VPX and there are obviously the many ground and power leads that need to be attached as well. I think I would have been cussing a lot had I needed to run more wires through the center tunnel. I had enough just feeding the Landing/Nav lights, AP servos, ELT, trim motor and the power boost required to supply the energy for the trim motor. Oh yeah, and the OAT cable. Wherever you choose, make sure whatever you install on the two avionics shelves forward of your instrument panel, remains clear of the NACA vents you will likely be installing in the boot cowl to allow ventilation hose to reach your eyeball vents in the panel. This is how I came to mounting the VPX in the center after finding out the original location blocked my NACA vent.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Ok this is the kind of info I need because I've never done it.
    Thanks for all the info.
    Would you keep the battery behind the baggage compartment? I never did like long battery cables from batteries to the engine. The earth x batteries are lite but still the heaviest thing and longest arm from cg.
    But If a 5 lb weight on the tailwheel saves me a lot of trouble, that's what I'll do.

One more thing , does the ground bar attach to the battery ground? I'm just wondering where all the grounds go if my battery is in the back?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

It is really best to keep your heavy battery cables as short as possible, which would mean putting it by the firewall. Long cables loose voltage, especially when starting the engine. I used to have an Odyssey battery in the tail and always had a hard time starting. Now I have an EarthX behind my firewall with only 1' runs to the battery contactor, starter contactor and airframe ground. I could not believe the difference it made is starting the engine.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I had a Grumman tr2 for a first plane with the battery under the hood and you could almost taxi on the starter. Piper archer for the last 27 years and never has cranked good with the battery in the back. we changed out the aluminum cables for copper a couple years ago and it helped but still nothing like having battery close. We run into the same problem on some farm machinery with long cables.
    I hoped rotax didn't pull as much amps to start as what I am used to because I know there are lots of batteries in the back of the kitfoxes.
    I know close is better on batteries but I know I need weight in the rear too.

I also noticed the earth x battery was only 4 lbs so not near as much gain moving it around either.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    One more thing, does the ground bar attach to the battery ground? I'm just wondering where all the grounds go if my battery is in the back?
    I have to agree with Phil. Unless you use thick (heavy) wires, you'll be a lot happier with starter performance if the battery is up front.

Regarding VP-X location, putting it behind the seat opens a can of worms. Where would items powered by the VP-X be grounded? Ideally there would be a ground bus bar near the VP-X, but that would mean a second wire run to the negative post on the battery, or another long thick wire from the firewall to the aft ground point. Then you'd have two major ground points in the plane and depending on currents in those wires, there could be a voltage difference between them.

That can cause sensor inaccuracy if the engine monitor box has a different ground point than the EFIS. Grounding the engine monitor in the back with the EFIS could solve the problem, but that scheme would be defeated by any sensor whose metal case is internally connected to ground and also touches the engine. Grounding the EFIS up front would fix the problem too, but that might cause data errors if remote devices that communicate with the EFIS are grounded in the tail. Those errors might only happen with certain high-current devices turned on, making them very hard to diagnose. Imagine a varying difference in ground potential as wig-wag landing lights attached to the aft ground point blink on and off.

Generally speaking, I would follow three guidelines for grounding:

1. For any device you install, provide only one path to ground.
    2. If a device communicates with another device, ground both in the same location.
    3. Shielded cables should have their shields grounded at only one end.

#3 applies to all shielded wires, whether you're talking about control lines to a remote radio, GPS position data to a transponder/ADS-B, control signals to a servo, microphone/headphone jacks or an intercom's music input. Ground the shield only at one end to avoid ground loops and to protect devices from high currents in the shield in the event of a broken ground wire.

My advice -- which is worth what you're paying for it! -- would be to put the VP-X behind the instrument panel and use a single-point firewall ground. With the VP-X up front you'll save weight and considerable complexity in wiring, and you'll avoid sensor and data-comm issues due to unequal ground potentials. Plus, adding a little weight way back in the tail will be easier, cheaper -- and my guess: less total weight -- than all of the extra wiring involved in putting the VP-X behind the seat.

You might want to call Kitfox and talk to John or Brandon about these two issues. They've done 915 installations, so they probably have a pretty good idea how the balance works out.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings