Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912UL -vs- 912iS: Installation Parts

Default 912UL -vs- 912iS: Installation Parts

I'm planning to use a 912iS. My kit came with a 912UL firewall forward package, so I have a number of installation parts on hand. I don't expect to be able to use them all, but...

I emailed Kitfox to ask about the engine and parts. Heather sent me the inventory sheet for the 912iS firewall forward kit, and she said something that I found... strange: "As for items that will transfer to the 912iS install, there really aren’t any. It is a completely different set up and trying to make some of the items work will be complicated at best."

My question: Is there really no parts compatibility between the different 912 engines? Not even the engine mount, or the exhaust header pipes and muffler?!

Thanks.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Default Re: 912UL -vs- 912iS: Installation Parts

Maybe just try the edge performance efi on an 912ULS

Default Re: 912UL -vs- 912iS: Installation Parts

Just thought I'd follow up with some info I got from a roughly half-hour chat with John McBean a couple of days ago. In my case, with a Series 5 kit and parts to install a 912UL with a bump cowl, there's almost nothing from my firewall forward that will work for a 912iS. The engine mount would put the engine in the wrong place, the radiator and oil cooler are too small, and the cowling is too short once the correct engine mount is used.

Also, the exhaust system for a 912UL or 912ULS are inadequate for a 912iS because it runs with much hotter EGTs than the carbureted engines. John told me that they had numerous problems with cracking and premature failure due to extreme temperature until they started using the Rotax-supplied exhaust on the 912iS, which are made with thicker-walled material.

So, installing a 912iS on a Series 5 requires the Series 7 firewall forward kit and cowling. John said this is their most comprehensive, nearly-plug-and-play installation due to its use on their S-LSA product. They even have a pre-punched firewall with the penetrations properly located, as well as a kit of pre-made oil and fuel hoses.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings