Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: flaperon hinge bearings

Default flaperon hinge bearings

i have deveopled a squeek from a couple of flaperon hinge bearings . somewhere in the construction book there was a mention of what to lube the nylon bearings with but ive been unable to locate it again . i think it also mentions that there should be some holes in the hinge for lubing it which mine dont have .
    wondering what anyone else does for lubing hinges ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Default Re: flaperon hinge bearings

I've used white grease for nylon bushings,..your plane being a 1050 ,..I wonder if a lube hole was not put into the bearing ,..if you want to put one in ,,if you can get something along side the bearing to measure it it's thickness..then use a small bit and start a hole in the bearing ,..don't go all the way thru ,..do all the bearings ,. then take a piece of dowl that will still allow the bit to get to the bearing and drill a hole thru it the length of your bit,...now sacrifice the drill bit and flatten the end ,..shorten the dowl so only the measured thickness of your bearing is exposed ,..go back to the started drill holes and finish drilling,..instant lube hole with out disassembling the flaperon or scaring the torque tube,..now go to your local chainsaw dealer and get a bar tip greaser,..remove the chainsaw grease and refill with lube of choice,..the tip of the chainsaw bar greaser depresses into the body of the greaser forcing grease or lube into the bearing,..it's fast it's clean

Chase

Chuck, I believe LPS 1 works well with the plastic flapperon bearings. Not supposed to attract so much dirt.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

thanks for the tips . i have one flaperon off now due to replacing a gas tank . this would be a good time to make some lube holes . i still have plenty of needle fitting tips from a previous life which should work . im not sure how much of the flaperons are assembled when the kit arrives as im not the orgional owner . when i acquired the plane the flaperons were almost complete . the horns were installed but they werent painted and the tips werent done along with the rivets along the t/e werent installed . they still had the protective film on them which luckily came off easily .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa