Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost all electrical

Default Re: Lost all electrical

I might be able to help you troubleshoot it this weekend if you haven't figured it out. Check all the things that have been suggested here first. I agree that the most likely thing is a charging problem.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    I might be able to help you troubleshoot it this weekend if you haven't figured it out. Check all the things that have been suggested here first. I agree that the most likely thing is a charging problem.
    Thanks Phil. I replaced the voltage regulator tonight and tried to check the current into the battery with it running but alas my multi meter batteries were dead. I ran it for a bit with the stator breaker pulled and the heater, radios and lights on. When I pushed the breaker back in the cockpit voltmeter did increase but only nominally. You'd think I'd know after 200 hours flying it but I think I was always +/- 13.5V on the cockpit gauge. Seemed to want to settle in around 13.1/13.3 tonight. I'll hopefully be out there Saturday. I'll see if you're at your hangar.

Did you recharge your battery first, or was it being recharged during the run? I am guessing your battery was being charged and drawing a lot of current. In that case the voltage would be a little lower than if the battery was fully charged. If you have an ammeter you will be able to see the current to/from your battery.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

That's an earth X battery. The black wire with a pigtail is to hookup to your efis if you have one. If not you can hook it up to a light and it will tell you the status of your battery. The earthx has internal board that monitors cells, and overcharge, undercharge, ect. If it senses an issue it will alert you. I recommend hooking that up. 13.2 volts is resting voltage of Earth X. If you are seeing 13.1 you are drawing on the battery, just FYI.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I was plagued with a similar sporadic problem similar to yours for years in my second-hand 3. Changed voltage regulator three times. Because it was intermittent I could not figure it out nor could anyone else. Eventually I discovered a faulty toggle switch was causing the problem. Good luck!