Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax cdi relocation and coils

Default Rotax cdi relocation and coils

I'm starting working on the engine and one of the things I am planning to do is relocate the ignition boxes. I will likely mount them either on the firewall or to the roof side of the engine mount. Wondered what others had done and if anyone has also relocate the ignition coils? It appears the plug wires are screwed in at both ends just like power sports applications so could just order a coil of ignition wire to extend if necessary. Thought the rigid side of the mount would be good for them too. Anyone do this?
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Default Re: Rotax cdi relocation and coils

I relocated my ignition modules and coils on the kitfox 4, and it seems to have worked out good. They are moved back to the firewall side of the motor mount. I got a roll of sparkplug wire, think it was 100' long, but that was cheaper then going by the foot for two engines. I think I could do a couple more still. In the picture, it looks like the modules stick up kind of high, but my cowl and firewall are real low, and I clear by about 1/2". You would probably have 3 or 4" of clearance with the round cowl. The sparkplug wires do screw into the coils, may have some glue or sealant as well. Right now I'm not finding a better picture that shows the set up close up. Here is what I've got for now. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks. That's just what I was wanting to hear. Where they were mounted above the #1 & 3 cylinders is ok, but I think it would be cleaner and less crowded moved out of the way. Also makes access to the coolant hoses on top of the engine much easier. I'll likely do the same as you did.

Thanks again
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Another benifit is the wires are not subjected to so much moving and shaking so less likely to break. I'll try to get a better close up picture if I remember. JImChuk

Relocated the modules on my model 4 with 912 uls to the firewall side of the motor mount for much reduced vibration level and start up and shutdown shaking. Well worth the effort. 975 hours when I sold it with no issues.👍

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I went one step further and mounted my cdi units on a bar above the rudder pedals, the coils are in a near original position. Making up a plug in extension loom was relatively easy.