Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable Swaging

Default Cable Swaging

Never swaged anything in my life this was my first attempt with the swaging tool in the builders tool kit. Instruction aren’t very detailed with pics but followed them to the letter and this is what I got. I guess I’m used to seeing the swages with the three much narrower crimps versus one that looks like this. This is for the adjustable rudder cables. How’s it look before I try to do any more.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Default Re: Cable Swaging

65B6E419-ECDD-4295-AA88-C139F05DF1F8.jpg
    This is my example... I used a set of Cable swage pliers as shown in the pic.
    Instagram- N985MK

Kitfox S7 STI - Building...Hope to be flying Fall 2023!

ifly,

It looks very good, good and tight, professional
    Cover only the cable end with shrink tube and it's it.
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Quote Originally Posted by iflywhatevr View Post
    Never swaged anything in my life this was my first attempt with the swaging tool in the builders tool kit. Instruction aren’t very detailed with pics but followed them to the letter and this is what I got. I guess I’m used to seeing the swages with the three much narrower crimps versus one that looks like this. This is for the adjustable rudder cables. How’s it look before I try to do any more.....

I haven't seen "approved" swages done with a single wide crimp like that. I'm curious what "builders tool kit" the tool came from came from... Kitfox? Did it come with a gauge? Generally, a group of 2, 3 or 4 individual crimps are made, depending on cable diameter. I believe this may have to do, at least partially, with allowing the compressed sleeve material to flow properly between swages. That's also the reason the first swage made (in a group of three for instance) is the middle one, and there is definite spacing between crimps . I'm not saying yours is wrong, but just that I don't know. I do know that the Nicopress sleeves used with SS cable must be either tin-plated copper, or SS. Zinc-plated copper or aluminum are not allowed. I'm sure Kitfox knows this and they sell the right ones.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by mattkalin View Post
    This is my example... I used a set of Cable swage pliers as shown in the pic.
    Matt,

It looks like you may only have 2 crimps on that cable. I know that the size cable used on the newer models requires 3 crimps, FWIW.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I used the swaging tool that came in the kit and it gave me the proper 3 narrow crimps. That single wide crimp does not look right to me.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I haven't seen "approved" swages done with a single wide crimp like that. I'm curious what "builders tool kit" the tool came from came from... Kitfox? Did it come with a gauge? Generally, a group of 2, 3 or 4 individual crimps are made, depending on cable diameter. I believe this may have to do, at least partially, with allowing the compressed sleeve material to flow properly between swages. That's also the reason the first swage made (in a group of three for instance) is the middle one, and there is definite spacing between crimps . I'm not saying yours is wrong, but just that I don't know. I do know that the Nicopress sleeves used with SS cable must be either tin-plated copper, or SS. Zinc-plated copper or aluminum are not allowed. I'm sure Kitfox knows this and they sell the right ones.
    It was in the builders tool kit supplied by Kitfox. The swage tool is similar to this one on Spruce.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=6674

When you have a question on a critical part, no offense to anyone here, but I would go to the factory.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

One way out of this,
    Post a photo of the tool on this forum.
    Is there a brand name on tool that we can google?

Send the same photo to Kitfox and ask the question of, is it an approved tool.
    Keeps everyone happy
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018