Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soliciting advice for a new prop... Series 5, Lycoming O-235

Default Soliciting advice for a new prop... Series 5, Lycoming O-235

Was inspecting my prop yesterday, and found that it's really beginning to show its age. It's a wooden Aymar-DeMuth, 72 / 47 built back in 2000. It's certainly so, I'll plan on refurbishing it and keeping as a spare, but I think it's time for me to try out something new.

I'm an accomplished vehicle fabricator, be it 2 or 4 wheels, but when it comes to airplanes, I'm more of a pilot then a wrench, and as such, am more knowledgeable about flying airplanes than I am about the technical details of equipment combinations like engines/props. As such, I thought I'd poll the community about current adjustable prop choices for a Lycoming powered Kitfox.

My airplane is a Series 5 Outback powered by a 115hp O-235 L2C. The vast majority of my flying is to and from grass and backcountry strips, generally within a couple hours of where I live in Hood River, OR (4S2), but I do make the occasional multi-day X/C. The Aymar-DeMuth has been the only prop I've had, so I don't really know any better (or worse!).

As far as performance, my current configuration allows me to generally climb out at around 1200-1400 FPM from my home strip at 600 feet ASL (depending on the amount of blue juice I'm lugging around), and I typically see cruise speeds in the neighborhood of 110-115mph, but I'd be happy with trading a little cruise speed for a shorter take-off and better climb-out.

The only other Kitfox I've flown is a friend's very-dialed Series 7 SS with a 914 and an Airmaster constant speed. This is a very nice and versatile setup, but an Airmaster is running in the neighborhood of $12k these days, which is a larger investment than what I'd like to make at the moment. Of course, probably the greater consideration, is that with a comparatively heavy O-235 hanging off the front of my airplane, the additional weight of a CS prop setup up on the nose isn't exactly ideal.

Given my setup and my typical mission, it would seem that a good compromise between price & performance options would be a ground adjustable prop that I could generally operate in a STOL configuration, but set to more of a cruise prop for those occasional long-distance X/C trips halfway across the country.

I was looking at the Sensenich 2F0K6C76AF-0 and the Whirlwind GA200CN. Both of these look nice, and they're within a couple hundred dollars of each other all-in. However, I don't know anyone who has flown either of these props. It'd be great to hear some feedback from other Kitfox pilots who have used either (or both!) of these propellors with a Lycoming or Continental. In addition, I'd be happy to hear of ideas for adjustable props that I might consider with my plane/engine/typical mission.

Default Re: Soliciting advice for a new prop... Series 5, Lycoming O-235

Food for thought, and this just my thinking:

If you have the same cowl I do with the IO-240B (I think you do) then the shorter prop might be a problem, the Sensenich
    is longer. I've had better luck with the 74" prop on mine than a 72". That Whirlwind is probably too short

The cowl will eliminate part of the prop from being effective, which the longer blade helps. I'd probably start with a 74"
    and see how that works.

Jeff

I think NR propellers in Ukraine now makes props for the 0-235. Bit of a wait, but they make nice props. And at a very reasonable price. I'm waiting on mine for my 912 Kitfox now. It made it to Ukraine customs about 10 days after I paid for it in early January. Customs sent it back, cause of possibility of military use, now it's been shipped from Poland, and is in Polish customs. I believe. JImChuk

What prop did you buy?
    Building a KF IV Classic

I got the SR-106 for my 912 Rotax, 80 HP Kitfox 4. It is a two blade 70" prop. JImChuk

One option that I’ve been researching is from DUC Propellers. 2 min ground adjustable!

Thought I'd follow up on this- I ended up buying a 76" Sensenich carbon fiber ground adjustable prop. It spins nice, and it really well balanced. Adjusting it takes about 10 minutes.and is super easy- loosen clamp bolts, stick a pin in the center of the hub, rotate blades to touch pin, tighten bolts, remove pin. It takes longer to get the spinner off and on than it does to adjust the prop! It came with 6 pin sizes.. 2/3,4/5,6/7. Pin 4 has worked well for everyday flying for me- I climb out at around 1650, and cruise at just over 100 with my Airstreaks on. For the price, I'm not sure if one could do any better, and Sensenich has been great to work with.

what was the wait time for that prop? Has Sensenich caught up to its backlog? i know they were months out in June.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Interesting info, i also have a KF5 with the 0235/115hp, (just bought it 3weeks ago) and think need to find a bigger prop, havent flown it yet but i think the 68” whirlwind GA is to to small. Let us know how it continues to work, ive been thinkin about the ukrain props, but havent made any jump on a prop yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Denalifox View Post
    what was the wait time for that prop? Has Sensenich caught up to its backlog? i know they were months out in June.
    I just put a Sensenich carbon fiber, ground adjustable prop on my KF and love it. I echo the comments about the ease of installation and repitching the prop. I received the prop six weeks after I ordered it.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV