Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edge vs Stock Rotax

Default Re: Edge vs Stock Rotax

For the EP912STI I did the 914 FWF kit, and just removed what was not needed. Actually the 912 FWF would work also. (Motor mounts are the same for both I think but make sure to confirm) Fuel lines and intake ducting, naca vents, throttle cable will all need to be sourced, but not hard to do. The EP 35 amp alternator is great. In your pictures you can see it in the top picture. It hooks to the flywheel and the flywheel housing is extended. Not sure the weight probably a few pounds. Like Brian said you need to remove the cross member on the motor mount so the housing will clear. The cross member is there to help support the nose wheel. If you doing tricycle gear I would go with the 15 amp because you want that support for nosegear, but if your going tailwheel I would go 35 amp. The stock one stays inside the flywheel and this attaches aft. I run 35 amp as primary and the 18 amp as a backup. If I go to 18amp backup I will need to load shed some to stay under limits but it will get me back home fine.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 03-06-2021 at 12:53 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I've looked at their engines a lot because I've wanted to switch the engine on my Kitfox to something more practical (and still remain affordable), but I've always come to the same conclusions as Brian has. They are pushing that 912 really hard and there's just not a lot of hours on those engines to convince me of reliability. I know they say they have a lot of engines flying, but that doesn't really mean much if all those engines have a handful of hours between them. You really need lots of engines flying for lots of hours to get a good sense of whether their design is robust or not.

One thing I would be willing to do is to take a stock Rotax 912is and add their turbocharger to it. Has anyone used their turbocharger and know if it's reliable and easy to add?

To my knowledge they don't do anything with the 912IS. I think its to much brain damage adding a turbo to that and I don't think anyone has "cracked" the rotax ECU.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    To my knowledge they don't do anything with the 912IS. I think its to much brain damage adding a turbo to that and I don't think anyone has "cracked" the rotax ECU.
    Definitely true. I'm certain there will never be an aftermarket turbo option for the 912iS. If you want Rotax's fuel injection and a turbo, the 915i$ is your only option. (And a great one if you have the budget!)
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS