Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Pitot tube order of installation and fittings

Default Pitot tube order of installation and fittings

At the point of figuring out timing on installing the pitot. I have the Dynon with AOA pitot. I have the bottom covering on and was going to mount the pitot mast now. However, I am thinking that I need to go ahead and install the actual pitot tube now since I need to make the tubing connections and it would be easier with no top covering on instead of working through an inspection hole afterwards. Thoughts? How did most do it. Having the mast sticking out will be a pain anyway so I thought that its not much more trouble having the pitot tube on there as well?

Also, the 1/4" nylon tubing tubing fits nice and tight over the aluminum 3/16" aluminum tubing. Anyone just do that? Any type of clamp, zip tie or safety wire? Or is it better to use connectors?

Default Re: Pitot tube order of installation and fittings

I put the whole thing together before covering the top and used the provided fittings. Could be wrong but I would think trying to connect everything through an inspection hole would not be an easy task.

Rick

Thats what I am leaning towards. My Pitot didn't come with any fittings so I am leaning toward the 1/4" over the 3/16" with a clamp of some type. Be a lot less chance of leaks.

I have a Garmin AOA pitot. I used the airfoil shape pitot mount. My pitot tube has two small aluminum pipes that I bent two 45 degree bends using a small pipe bender. I have a service loop in my two pitot lines and they are long enough to allow me to pull the tubing out through the pitot mount. I simply shoved the lines onto the pitot tubes and used cinch or AKA crimp clamps, to fasten the lines to the tubes. I am able to then feed the pitot and its tubing into and through the mount and rotate the installation until the pitot fits onto the mount. I won't have any need for an access hole this way. Sorry, I tried to find a photo, laptop battery currently dead.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks all. I ended up doing a combination of both suggestions. What's interesting is the manual suggests completely installing the pitot system prior to covering but I have seen several pics of wings with just the mast sticking out during construction so it was throwing me off a bit.