Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If you need insurance...

Default Re: If you need insurance...

You guys are lucky.. Up here in Canada, I'm paying almost 1300.00$ without hull, only liability. 3 Years ago it was $800.00. No accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    Michael , just went thru the insurance dilemma myself , got a qoute that i had them break down with liability only -same as you paid over $500( I'm mid 60's in age as well) and the next with liability with a minimal hull value tacked on of only $30,000. (obvious not near what the plane is worth , but the benefit is now the liability drops to $107 and the hull is $890 for a total of $997. It seems its all a shell game with insurance so I bit the bullet and paid the grand. As I recall last year I had $50,000 hull and it was close to $1500 bucks. Bruce N199CL
    I'd be careful undervaluing the hull coverage. If you have a loss, the agreed value is used to base whether they will pay for repair. Usually if damage reaches 75% of agreed value, not actual value, they will total it and try to recoup some of the loss by selling your airplane for salvage.

Also, if totaled, the agreed value is all you get and they get the airplane and any installed equipment.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Good information John, for the 20 years I've owned and flown my Series 5 I was totally uninsured probably 3/4 of those years. Very rarely do I ever have any hull insurance so I am not risk averse and have no problem with self insuring . Only problem is the last few years I have given lots of rides and to do that I have to have liability insurance. With the inflationary pricing on everything these days , somethings got to give , and to continue flying it will be no more insurance if things don't change. I will then have to shut down "Airlina" -the one seat domestic airline. Bruce N199CL

Here's a post-COVID, inflation-lunacy update...

For a new Model 7 SS as a low-time pilot (100-ish hours), I'm being quoted $4,950/year. ($410/mo). That is with hull coverage at $120k. Liability is $495/year. But I'm flying a diversified portion of my retirement fund here so I'm not willing to risk it...

They did tell me that at 150 hours they'd knock off 5%. No discounts for add'l training.

[insert nausea emoji here....]

As a comparison, I have a private/instrument ticket with 1300TT, about 1000 taildragger/Kitfox, my insurance renewal this August for the Mangy Fox (Model 4-1200) full hull declared at $60k, $1M liability, is $1800/year.

This is through EAA/Falcon insurance brokerage.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos