Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fueling Equipment

Default Re: Fueling Equipment

Yeah I've been looking at the WURX myself for a while. I'm in a similar situation. The only reason I didn't get one yet is shipping to Canada is like $140 last I asked them. Don't have a truck so a nice built in option doesn't exist. The hose doesn't look as long as I expected though. Was hoping I might be able to just pull up the car and pump it from the trunk. Is it possible to switch out the hose with a longer one? What kind of fittings are used?
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

I have had the WURX for a while now, great setup and WURX like a charm.

I have it in the back of my Mini Countryman and the hose/nozzle reaches no problem

John, is that a steel or aluminum tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    John, is that a steel or aluminum tank?
    It's aluminum, Jim.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Kevin, the pump comes standard to run on 110/120 vac so I use a long extension cord. Wurx says they have an adapter to run on 12 vdc.

Tracstarr, the hose is 6' long. The fittings are non-standard plastic, I think, so lengthening the hose might take some study.

This setup is inexpensive and probably not something that will take a lot of abuse and last for 20 years. The 20 gal tank itself seems quite sturdy; the pump/hose/nozzle is where the low cost shows up. Its a step up from plastic jerry cans and seemed worth a try for me.
    The threaded bung that the pump fits into appears to me to be the same size as the bung on a steel 55 gal drum. I'll bet if you wanted to upgrade the pump/hose/nozzle you could buy a standard barrel pump (hand crank or electric) and install it on the Wurx 20 gal tank. This combo could give a fairly heavy duty setup with the convenience of the smaller 20 gal tanks.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim

Did Wurx replace your pump that died? Wondering about their customer service.

Rick

Wurx is great, I drove up there (90 minutes) and got a tour of the factory. I have the electric pump which works great, just wish the hose was a couple of feet longer

Rick, yes Wurx replaced the electric pump with no hassle at all. I just called them and they immediately put a new unit in the mail and just asked that I send the failed unit back to them in the same box with a prepaid shipping label. Can't ask for better service than that. The new pump is working fine so far.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Built this fuel trailer to keep MoGas in the hanger. Other than the DOT tank, parts are from Northern Tools. Cost was around $1800. It's a more expensive solution but fewer trips to the gas station. I'll be building a second trailer to park in the barn to replace a number of jerry cans. I've learned to hate lifting and splashing fuel from jerry cans. PM for a parts list if interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Nice looking rig, Carl! I like your tail art too!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime