Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microballoons

Default Re: Microballoons

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Maverick, what is the 3M product you mention you used vs. Hysol?
    Since he's got a Series 5, it was probably Scotch-Weld (not sure which; there are several variants). That's what most of my 5 was put together with. It's amazing adhesive, but when they say "permanent," they mean it. Grinding/sanding is the only way I've been able to remove it. It laughs at solvents and heat.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

It’s surely 2216 B/A.. that’s what was used. It was (is?) used a lot in the aerospace industry. I never built a Kitfox with it, but used it on a lot on other aircraft. I still have a couple of tubes. It is more expensive than the Hysol 9460, and is mixed in a ratio of 3 to 2 by volume (I believe 7 to 5 by weight), A to B. It’s a very good adhesive.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

If you add enough microballoons to epoxy you can make something similar to Super-Fil. Light and sands very nicely. Flox-filled epoxy, not so nice to sand!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    It’s surely 2216 B/A.. that’s what was used. It was (is?) used a lot in the aerospace industry. I never built a Kitfox with it, but used it on a lot on other aircraft. I still have a couple of tubes. It is more expensive than the Hysol 9460, and is mixed in a ratio of 3 to 2 by volume (I believe 7 to 5 by weight), A to B. It’s a very good adhesive.
    2216 B/A, that's what I used with building the Kitfox and also what I used many times on the Skybolt. Incredible adhesive!

This photo shows an aileron cove that has been glued to the aluminum trailing edge of the Skybolt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by taff; 02-07-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Another good additive for the epoxy resin is West System, Fairing Filler.
    They (West System) suggest it for their own epoxy resin. Used to only fill areas. And real nice sanding qualifies.
    It's not micro balloons but a very fine powder.

I also used it as an addition to T88 adhesive. T88 is probably the best epoxy adhesive there is for gluing wood together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

It is the 2216 B/A mentioned by others. It is what was in series 5 kits. When I bought my project it was 23 years old and there was no glue so I bought it from Aircraft Spruce. I'd never ber heard of Hysol and since 3M is what I used to build my first KF5, I just went with what I was experienced using.

I built wooden wings on my vey first homebuilt. T88 was pretty new at the time and the EAA book on building with wood recommended FPL16. It was easy to work with but I don't see where it would ever be useful on a Kitfox unless you were going to build your own ribs from scratch.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I used it to make the tips of my Rudder/VS (speedster) and Elevator/HS look nicer, blended with the ribs. As you said, mix micro with Hysol. Kept adding balloons until it was more like a fluffy paste. Is pretty tough and weighs very little.

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I agree with Eddie. They're also used as filler to make a light-weight, easy to sand mixture with epoxy or other resins. The fact is that they weaken the strength of a bonded joint. FWIW, I can see no reason to use them for bonding that piece to the fuselage tube because the tube is powder-coated and there is no direct contact between the dissimilar metals.
    Building a KF IV Classic