Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vixen Flaperon Update and Another Flaperon Question

Default Vixen Flaperon Update and Another Flaperon Question

31.5 hours, 1 quart of stripper and a bunch of plastic razor blades later, my flaperons are free of the protective plastic!

They're in really good shape but a close inspection leads to another question - on the left flaperon the trailing edge is a tiny bit uneven. The trailing edge of the underside protrudes 3/32" at the root. The difference diminishes towards the tip - at the 2/3rds point (from the root to the tip) the edges line up.

I'm inclined to trim this off and make the trailing edges even along the span- opinions?

Thanks for your help! Pic of one of the stripped flaperons attached.

IMG_1217.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Vixen Flaperon Update and Another Flaperon Question

Quote Originally Posted by tim.green View Post
    They're in really good shape but a close inspection leads to another question - on the left flaperon the trailing edge is a tiny bit uneven. The trailing edge of the underside protrudes 3/32" at the root. The difference diminishes towards the tip - at the 2/3rds point (from the root to the tip) the edges line up. I'm inclined to trim this off and make the trailing edges even along the span- opinions?
    Personally, I'd leave it alone. Minor imperfections in the trailing edge of the flaperon will be inconsequential to the function of it. On the other hand, trimming this with precision could be difficult and might haunt you more than leaving them alone. It depends on how annul you are about having the perfect airplane rather than a good one.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I would trim it just for aesthetics. A belt sander would make quick work of it and keep the edge straight. Just my opinion.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thumbs up Re: Vixen Flaperon Update and Another Flaperon Question

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I would trim it just for aesthetics. A belt sander would make quick work of it and keep the edge straight. Just my opinion.
    Hadn't considered something like that. Good idea.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

if you're going to paint it, just use a little filler and sand it smooth., It will disappear under the paint, and no need to worry
    about messing up in the process of making it better ... Which I personally have done more than once ...

Jeff

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. I'm going to carefully try the belt sander idea and if it looks like it's going to work (that's more a comment on my abilities than anything else) I'll trim it. Otherwise, I'll fill and paint.

On a related note - is it worth using solid / flush rivets on the trailing edge (as suggested in the instructions) or should I stick with pull rivets?

Thanks!

looks nicer with solids, and a hand squeezer is a good investment in tools anyway.

Jeff

I definitely think solid rivets look much better on the flaperon trailing edge. A solid rivet squeezer would be nice, but rarely used elsewhere. I just used a pair of vice grips with the jaws ground flat; worked great.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I bought the 10" KNIPEX pliers for squeezing rivets. They worked great and now I have this cool tool.

No more often than you'll need them, ask around to see if you could borrow squeezers. Anyone building an aluminum plane would likely help you out. Or ask your EAA chapter members.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ