Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will I regret ordering a speedster?

Default Re: Will I regret ordering a speedster?

I fold my wings every year at Annual inspection when I replace the sight tubes. It's simple, BUT it's tedious, and needs
    to be done carefully, and slowly, to avoid damaging anything. I would never do it regularly, and consider trailering to
    be an "only if I absolutely must" operation.

I think people do trailer them regularly, but I wouldn't do it.

Jeff

Scissor jack to lower tail. Homemade, removable contraption to attach strap to for pulling up on trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

The Rans S-21 will fly slow and get your wife there pretty fast if you want. Reports are coming out of a Titan powered S-21 truing out at 160 mph and stalling at 37-38

http://www.ransclan.com/forums/showt...-First-flight!

The S-21 doesn't have foldable wings does it? If not they are not what I would call easily removeable, either of which are part of the OP's requirements.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    The S-21 doesn't have foldable wings does it? If not they are not what I would call easily removeable, either of which are part of the OP's requirements.
    Oops, my bad, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    You are correct. I looked at the S-21 pretty hard before I found out there's a long wait for hangar space. I actually pushed that one a little farter down the list because it calls for about 50K worth of engine and prop + a 40K kit. Add all the other finishing stuff and it would be nearly impossible to complete one for under 100K. It wouldn't be hard to make one cost 140K. That starts to nibble into my retirement savings a little more than I like. The RV-14 is pretty much in the same position. There must be a whole lot of people ordering the S-21 though because it's a 14 month wait list right now. I'm super happy about seeing Randy's business booming so much. He's a great guy with a huge passion for airplanes and I have nothing but respect for what he's doing, but his offerings just don't quite line up with my needs.

At this point, I'm about 55/45 split between doing the RV-12iS vs. a Kitfox. One of the biggest things holding me back from just going ahead and ordering the RV-12iS is concern for being able to attach and detach the wings by myself when I'm going for a solo flight. I have a dozen people who say they would come help, but I don't want to have friends make a drive out to the airport every time I feel like drilling holes in the sky. They would get tired of that after a while. This problem will eventually go away once my slot comes up in the waiting list for a hangar, but I hope to put a lot of hours on my plane while I'm waiting. I am aware of at least one person who built a caster supported wing rack that allows him to remove and install the wings by himself so that might be an option too. I'd have to build something like that to keep in my trailer.

Ron

If you are 45/55 split between an RV-12 and a Kitfox, I think you really need to spend more time seriously defining your flying mission. Those two planes are for very different missions; its like saying I can't decide between eating an apple or a T-bone steak.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    If you are 45/55 split between an RV-12 and a Kitfox, I think you really need to spend more time seriously defining your flying mission. Those two planes are for very different missions; its like saying I can't decide between eating an apple or a T-bone steak.
    Fair point, but I like apples and steaks. If I had to choose a lifetime supply of either, I'd have a hard time. And the more I analyze airplane options, the more I fear missing out on the great stuff I would give up from the other one. I'm sure most aircraft owners went through this same dilemma before choosing one.

If I wasn't trying to keep the wife happy, I would probably end up in a Kitfox or one of the exceptionally similar clones. It would be more like choosing between Gala or Honeycrisp apples. There are no wrong answers.

Compromise, get one of each :)

Since you have access to a PA28, I would choose the Kitfox personally. The RV 12 is basically the same mission as a PA28 but with 2 seats
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)