Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder pulley question.

Default Rudder pulley question.

The manual states the clock these cable retaining straps at 60 degrees. When I properly torque the bolts the straps still move somewhat easily by hand. I tried adding a washer but then the holes in the bolts aren’t exposed enough to hook the rudder springs in. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Default Re: Rudder pulley question.

Mine move easily as well. I find that if they don't just fall to the bottom, they seem to stay where you last set them. Concerned about this as you are, I tried to get the cable to derail while placing the strap in various locations and I found it to be pretty secure.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Same - Same experience as Eddie - no problem.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks Guys, I’ll keep on moving forward.

Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

I had the same problem, the bolt is not threaded far enough down on the shank on mine and the nut bottomed out. I ran a die down and added an additional thread.

I am having a different problem in the same area and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I can’t get the rudder pedal adjustment lever into the last three notches. Also the rudder pedals only work in the first 2 notches. I have checked everything numerous times, it all looks fine, dimensions and locations are spot on. I set the ruder pedals by clamping a board across where the fire wall goes, installed the brake line 90, then left 1/8 inch space between the 90 and the fire wall.
    I need ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    I had the same problem, the bolt is not threaded far enough down on the shank on mine and the nut bottomed out. I ran a die down and added an additional thread.

I am having a different problem in the same area and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I can’t get the rudder pedal adjustment lever into the last three notches. Also the rudder pedals only work in the first 2 notches. I have checked everything numerous times, it all looks fine, dimensions and locations are spot on. I set the ruder pedals by clamping a board across where the fire wall goes, installed the brake line 90, then left 1/8 inch space between the 90 and the fire wall.
    I need ideas!

I haven’t got that far into the rudder rigging yet. I do remember the manual giving a dimension for the pedal mounts to the forward edge of the fuselage though. I’m assuming it’s a rigging issue? Or is it a problem with tight slots in the brackets where the adjustment handle click in place? Also, you might want to do some research into adding threads on AN hardware using a die. It can weaken the hardware. AN bolts have “rolled” threads, not “cut” threads. I’m not sure if it will be an issue but it’s something to consider.

Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

One would usually just add a washer to fill the need vs cutting the thread further.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    One would usually just add a washer to fill the need vs cutting the thread further.
    Yep, you never want to cut more threads in aircraft bolts. You can add washers to take up some space or use the next length shorter bolt.

There is tons of good information for us in AC43.13-1B, which can be downloaded for free from the FAA website. Chapter 7 of this book is about Hardware and section 7-37 answers this topic about bolt grip length, how many washers can be used and how to determine if you need a longer or shorter bolt.

If you are building or maintaining an experimental aircraft and aren't an A&P I would suggest reading every pertinent section of AC43.13-1B. The information in here is foundational to aircraft building and maintenance.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016