Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: What is this for?

Default What is this for?

Underside of Vertical what is this plate there for? Skystar Model 7
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

Default Re: What is this for?

My Kitfox 4 Speedster project has that same plate on top. All I can say about it is that when I took everything apart, the only thing that plate did on my airplane was provide a glue surface for gluing the wood rib on. If it really is supposed to have another purpose I don't know but that is all it did on my airplane.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    My Kitfox 4 Speedster project has that same plate on top. All I can say about it is that when I took everything apart, the only thing that plate did on my airplane was provide a glue surface for gluing the wood rib on. If it really is supposed to have another purpose I don't know but that is all it did on my airplane.
    Ahh that does make sense a flat surface to glue too. Thanks.
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

Just looked at some old pictures, and for sure my Kitfox 4 that I just rebuilt doesn't have that piece. I don't think the other Kitfox 4 I have has that piece either. I would wonder if somehow a tail light was meant to somehow attach there?? Just a guess though. JImChuk

My model 4 does not have that plate either. Could it be used for attaching material to for fairing the top tube?

Maybe a Vor antenna mount. Installed by builder. Seen several on older builds. I helped an owner remove one from that exact location some years ago.It looked like this:
    6387DFBA-7F02-4375-85A8-2B2C768026A2.jpeg
    A post from John McBean back in 2011 talking about the Vor antenna usually mounted to the top of the vertical.
    Re: VOR/LOC antenna
    Having now installed both antennas... the "wiskers" work very well.. although I am personally not crazy about the appearance.. top of the vertical is where most have been installed.. which on a tail wheel puts it at about eye level... on the tri-gear up on the vertical works great on the bottom ends up at about eye level again.. Have installed them inside the wing and that seemed to work well.

Yesterday and today I have been flying using the di-pole type.. Installed how Bob Archer suggested... So far it seems to work OK...... not as well as the wisker type.. but I will be doing some installation mods and re-testing over the next couple weeks.

It fits fine in the Hoerner "Speedster" style tips easily but not sure they would fit in the newer "standard" tips.

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

It would only be there on airplanes intended to have the full airfoil shaped tail. A standard 4 would not have it. Mine is a speedster and has the airfoil tail.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

To support DesertFox's theory, I just found this in my Skystar build manual for the speedster. There is no talk about the plate or the antenna in the text of the manual, only this picture.

Capture.PNG
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

For what it's worth I epoxied a copper foil Glide slope dipole into my lower engine cowling
    and while I don't fly IFR in N85AE I do practice approaches in it, and I get excellent GS
    reception. I also have a a wingtip mounted dipole inside the wing/wingtip, which
    also works very well. half the dipole is in the wing, the other half in the tip. The proximity
    of the "grounded" spar doesn't bother it as I had worried about initially.

Had a set of Archer wingtip antennas in it, but the homemade dipoles get MUCH better
    reception. The wingtip antenna is made from hardware store copper tubing, and the cowl
    glideslope is simply copper foil.

The tail mounted whisker I didn't use, because I didn't want to lose an eye to it in a
    taildragger ...

Jeff