Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: number of coats of varnish

Default number of coats of varnish

The manual calls for 2 or 3 coats of varnish on the wooden parts/ribs. I did 3 coats of varnish on the ribs in the tail and it seems excessive.

I am varnishing the ribs on the wings now, and I decided that this is definitely my least favorite part.

So, curious to know....2 coats of varnish seems like plenty but wanted to get a consensus of what others did.

Default Re: number of coats of varnish

Hi Jerry,

I did two coats - seemed like what was needed.

I think there is going to be some variability between different builds as the viscosity (how much thinning) temperature (how long it takes to flash off) and personal technique will not always be the same.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

No idea what varnish your using.
    In the PolyFiber manual it states (for the epoxy varnish)
    On my Kitfox and Skybolt ribs I followed the suggestion of one reduced coat and after overnight drying I applied one normally mixed coat.
    On the Skybolt where there is a larger plywood area, I sanded in between the second and third coat. (ply leading edges etc. and top wing fuel tank enclosure)

If you look, it stated the third coat is optional

From PolyFiber manual

"THINNING – New Wood: After the EV-400 and EV-410 components are mixed, reduce 50% with E-500 Epoxy Reducer (2 parts catalyzed varnish to 1 part reducer) and brush on for good surface penetration. Second and optional third coats may be brushed or sprayed on using following spray gun directions. Spray Gun Directions:"
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Thanks all.

Yes its the polyfiber epoxy varnish.

I have 2 coats on now and think that's plenty. I thinned the first coat 2 to 1 as per the directions and the second coat 4 to 1. It's a real PITA to varnish!

One wing done and one more coat on the other one tomorrow and I am done with that!

These are the directions I followed. I'm happy with the way my varnishing project worked out.
    http://www.eaach1.org/techpg3.html

I did a third coat on all the wood parts in the back of the fuselage, everywhere below the horizontal stab.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII