Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tablet

Default Tablet

Re: Show us your panel

I guess it is time to show how I am laying out my panel. As I stated once before I am flying from the right seat, 30 plus years flying taildraggers in tandem configuration my right hand is stick happy with left throttle. I wanted a place for a tablet and on the left is where it fits best. It can be flat on the panel, if a passenger wants to help navigate or look up airports or any other info or it can swing out for me to use if wanted/needed during a flight. I do like options. The tablet is attached to a back plate with strong velcro, the back plate is attached to the panel with a piano hinge. There is also a piano hinge on the back side of the back plate to secure the assembly when swinging it out.
    Attached Thumbnails

Default Re: Tablet

I hope you are not concerned about resale value, because right seat pilots are very much in the minority. Other than that, nice panel.
    I too was a right hand on the stick guy and went thru much anguish trying to decide whether to set up my panel for right or left seat flying. I finally chose to go with the conventional left seat setup and am very glad I did; it took all of about two hours to get comfortable with the stick in my left hand.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Yes, good point however I have a connection on the wiring harness for a second screen on the left. I plan to cut the opening for the screen and make that a removable cover with mounting points installed for another screen.

I've been using a cheap off brand android tablet with Avare, and more recently Navigator. Both work very well even on my cheap $80 tablet. Only downside is readability in sunlight which isn't great. My wife just got a Samsung S5e that seems like will be easy to read in sunlight.

Was a CFI for several years and flopped back and forth flying right and left sear. My Sonerai is a right hand stick. My former Kitfox I normally flew left sear, but would sometimes fly from the right. I guess for me it doesn't really matter. Even with the instruments on the left it is a small enough cockpit that flying from the right isn't a problem.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Left seat, right seat, they both fly the same. As for instruments right or left; in the 727 and the 737-100 and 200 the F/O flew from the right seat but leveled off using the Captains (left seat) instruments. Proficiency from whatever seat you fly from is the key.
    Last edited by desertdave; 01-21-2021 at 09:46 AM.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy