Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox V Vixen Rib Bonding Question

Default Kitfox V Vixen Rib Bonding Question

Hello all. Recently retired (which means time to work on the KF) and preparing wings for new tank and Laker Leading Edge install. Removing the standard PVC leading edge (installed by the previous builder) and applied what I thought was a little heat (heat gun) to the hysol holding the PVC to the LE to get started. Hours later finished the PVC removal (went smoothly and slowly) and was checking my work. Noticed the tip rib was a tiny bit loose at its tip - apparently I used too much heat, warmed the spar the Hysol lost its grip. This is maybe 3/4 of an inch of circumference that's loose.

I'd like to rebond this small section. I think I have two options:

1. leave the old hysol in place, bond over it with fresh hysol and increase the radius of the joint to include n additional 3/8" of spar. I like this idea cuz it's simple.

2. remove some of the old hysol with a combination of careful dremeling and heat application with a sharp-tipped soldering gun and then rebond. I'm concerned about this idea b/c there is potential to nick the spar with the dremel and to loosen more of the joint with the soldering iron.

Opinions please! Thanks for your help.

Photo of the wing in its cleaned up and prepped state attached.

63218006452__328A7AF5-1FAD-46D5-8DAE-689BE1B88E36.jpg

Default Re: Kitfox V Vixen Rib Bonding Question

I had a few loose ribs on my 1994 quick built wings. I did what you mentioned. Used a dremel and carefully cut about half way through the fillet all the way around the spar and then used heat and a plastic scrapper (harbor freight/amazon sells a 4 pack) to pry the glue off. The original glue was 3m on mine so it doesn't respond to heat like hysol but it does loosen it slightly. The glue held good on the wood parts so I got the majority off the spars and then re-glued with a slightly larger fillet after scuffing with a red scotchbrite pad. Just had to be super careful with the dremel.

Thanks! Factory concurs. I really appreciate your response. I'll let you know how it goes!

Heat gun and a putty knife gets hysol off very easily
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Default Re: Kitfox V Vixen Rib Bonding Question. Update!

Used a hot knife from Northern Tool. Set it just hot enough to cut through the cured Hysol. Covered the surrounding area - spar and rib - with two layers of heat resistant tape and was able to easily remove the compromised Hysol without damaging the rib, the spar or the adjacent, still-bonded Hysol. Pix attached if you're interested. One down, 1 and 1/2 to go!

Thanks for your help!

IMG_1194.jpgIMG_1193.jpgIMG_1192.jpg