Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recent Kitfox Purchase, Looking for guidance on getting it ready and legal to fly

Default Re: Recent Kitfox Purchase, Looking for guidance on getting it ready and legal to fly

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    There is also a postcard the owner is supposed to send to the FAA when he sells the plane. It says he is selling the plane to so and so... On planes I've bought, I've sent it in the with bill of sale, and my request for change of ownership/registration. FAA never complained. Maybe look for it in the paperwork as well. If you need, I can make a copy and sent to you so you know what to be looking for. Just looked at one, and it's 8050-3 form. Some stated do the same. Mn. does anyway. Found it on line JImChuk

Okay that's helpful. I've been trying to get in contact with the individual who actually built the aircraft. I had previously assumed he was deceased but turns out he may be in his 70's now and having a good ol'time enjoying retirement somewhere in Virginia. I've sent out a message on Facebook hoping to hear back (also hoping I have the right guy)

Default Re: Recent Kitfox Purchase, Looking for guidance on getting it ready and legal to fly

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    N226WR was registered but there is nothing in the airworthiness file. I have access and looked. That means that it was likely registered but never completed to the point of getting an airworthiness certificate. The registration expired and was the reason for "de-registration"

One thing you can try is to use the letter to FAA that kitfox has on their website https://kitfoxaircraft.com/wp-conten...ssue-Rev-B.pdf and try to use this along with the build documentation and pictures from previous builders to certify it as a new airplane. For a homebuilt the serial number isn't strictly necessary as when completing the paperwork you can specify any serial number you want. Just whatever you pick stays with it. Essentially the clean sheet approach.

You may also be able to get the registration for N226WR into your name, but this requires the paper trail showing ownership. If the gentleman on the expired registration for N226WR is willing to give you a bill of sale for the airplane then that should be all you need. Otherwise you need the bill of sale from him to the next guy to the next guy.....

This doesn't make since because I have a pink air worthiness certificate that matches the data plate I have perfectly. It also says "EXPIRY Unlimited". Maybe you could shed some light on that for me?

I have a bill of sale that the original builder (The guy on the registration) filled out and left the purchaser portion blank on. All subsequent owners of this project never registered it into their name so essentially, in the eyes of the FAA, I purchased N226WR from him.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisGillin View Post
    This doesn't make since because I have a pink air worthiness certificate that matches the data plate I have perfectly. It also says "EXPIRY Unlimited". Maybe you could shed some light on that for me?

I have a bill of sale that the original builder (The guy on the registration) filled out and left the purchaser portion blank on. All subsequent owners of this project never registered it into their name so essentially, in the eyes of the FAA, I purchased N226WR from him.
    An additional thought about how to proceed; An aviation attorney. Once you contact the FAA you may find your options limited by the initial info you give them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
    An additional thought about how to proceed; An aviation attorney. Once you contact the FAA you may find your options limited by the initial info you give them.
    If you are a member of AOPA, they have a 'pilot protection services' premium option that will get you consult time with an aviation attorney, I think up to an hour? for no additional charge after you join that service.
    Plan B would be to contact the FAA anonymously and ask away. Of course you may need to call from a 'burner' phone & disguise your voice, etc. if you are at all worried about privacy...

I recently bought a folding wing 2 seat airframe (non-Kitfox) that was flown but never registered. My plan was to get an N number and have an A/W inspection done by a DAR that is local to me. After contacting Ron Jones, DAR with contract through the Boston MIDO, he explained to me that he will no longer perform A/W inspections. Due to changes (6/20) to the Form 8130-6 intended to simplify and accelerate the process for applicants he describes the work load for a DAR as beyond difficult and just not worth the trouble. Mr Jones has been known as a guy who helps builders/flyers for his long career as DAR and classic airplane restorer and perhaps his attitude is based on a small number of unpleasant experiences with FAA administrators. I'm just passing this along as reinforcement to the earlier comments that once you start the process you may not like the results. I was able to overcome my situation by taking an alternate path which involved purchasing paperwork from an identical wrecked aircraft that was registered under the E-LSA prior to 2008. The paperwork and data plate were sold as "salvage". I'm sure that there's people out there thinking this practice is possibly illegal and my advice to them is OK, don't do it.