Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recent Kitfox Purchase, Looking for guidance on getting it ready and legal to fly

Default Recent Kitfox Purchase, Looking for guidance on getting it ready and legal to fly

Last week I purchased a Kitfox. I believe it's a Model 2 and it has a Silver head 532CL 2 stroke Rotax engine which is oil injected. I'm currently in the process of getting my PPL. I own and operate a small machine and fabrication business in Southeastern MI and I think this was a great purchase because I don't mind putting in the time and effort into getting it air worthy. I also have a background as a power sports and automotive mechanic, that along with my little machine shop, there's not a whole lot I can't build from scratch or repair... I have a buddy who is an A&P and is willing to help me get the safety inspections all squared away. The aircraft is all together and aside from some questionable wiring issues, looks like it would fly. My A&P friend took a close look and didn't see anything overly concerning...

As far as I know, the biggest issues are the following
    - Allegedly the maintenance logbooks where burnt up in a fire (All I really know is they are not in my possession)
    - There is no data plate in the aircraft anywhere. As far as I know it has to have a serial number in order to have an air worthiness cert.
    - The aircraft has a tail number (which was canceled/un-registered in 2015, but was registered to an individual who has since passed away)

I'm hoping some of you here would be willing to help and point me in the right direction to getting the paperwork side of this aircraft all sorted out. I'm relatively new to aviation and any pointers would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Default Re: Recent Kitfox Purchase, Looking for guidance on getting it ready and legal to fly

Your situation is not ideal. If you are member of the EAA, you should contact the EAA and see if it has any advice on how to proceed. If you are not a member, you should join.

If you go to this website, https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...NNumberInquiry , you should be able to look up the N number. The results from this inquiry will have a field labeled "Reason for cancelation" in the Aircraft Description section if it has been decertified. If that field is missing, it is likely still certified even though the registration has lapsed. There is a lot of information there.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Default Re: Recent Kitfox Purchase, Looking for guidance on getting it ready and legal to fly

Hello Maverick,

Okay. I'll be joining the EAA. The "Reason for Cancellation" field just says "Canceled". I also checked the tail number against accident reports returns on https://aviation-safety.net/ and there wasn't anything reported with this tail number.

Thanks!

I am trying to think where Skystar stamped the serial number on my Classic IV

Was it on that triangle plate welded to the fuselage, where the 2 seat belts are bolted to. The one in the middle, behind your shoulder.
    I may me totally incorrect of where, but almost positive they placed a serial number somewhere.
    Sorry if I am wrong.

After I posted this I had another thought. It could be on this triangle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by taff; 01-15-2021 at 03:42 PM.
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

I didn't think to check on that triangle tab that the seat belts bolt to but I just close at it and I don't see any numbers. Tomorrow I'll look close at the frame for any stamped number. I didn't realize it could be stamped, I had been looking for a data plate of some sort...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    If you look up the expired N-Number in the FAA database doesn't it show the serial number?

It does, can I use this serial number to get a copy of the air worthiness certificate from the FAA?

I edited my post.
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Quote Originally Posted by TravisGillin View Post
    It does, can I use this serial number to get a copy of the air worthiness certificate from the FAA?
    Call and ask but why would you need it?
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    Call and ask but why would you need it?
    I don’t know. I’m new to this but I guess I had assumed it would be needed to register the aircraft. Maybe all I need to do is register the tail number into my name and have an A&P do a full blown safety inspection and start maintenance log books from scratch?

FAA requires an unbroken chain of ownership. In other words, the person who's name is on the registration would have to sign an FAA bill of sale to the new owner. If you bought it from the widow if there was one, she can fill out an Heir at law form, get it notorized and use that form to claim ownership that would give her the right to sell it to you. I went through this a few years ago. Not that hard in my case, once I understood what the FAA wanted. If I had the N # I would do some looking at websites that may shed some light on this plane. JImChuk