Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting Whirlwind GA-RW3B pitch on 912ULS

Default Re: Setting Whirlwind GA-RW3B pitch on 912ULS

what are you using for pitch setting?
    My 912is set between cruise and climb gets me about 115TAS in level flight. Im getting 5250rpm static WOT. I found that if I set the pitch any finer I would Redline the engine too easily once level.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    what are you using for pitch setting?
    My 912is set between cruise and climb gets me about 115TAS in level flight. Im getting 5250rpm static WOT. I found that if I set the pitch any finer I would Redline the engine too easily once level.
    Mine is set to 17 degrees right now but no flight time on it. I got about 5300 static at WOT. That's with the 75" prop. Interested to know what you are running Eddie.

Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

I referenced the rpm because I don't recall what the original setting I put in. By that I mean, when the airframe was level etc etc. Since that time, someone here had mentioned that it wasn't necessary to level the airframe each time pitch is changed. So, I just started at the baseline (that I don't recall) and started changing pitch (while in three point) until I found 5250rpm. You seem to be very close to my setting. I wouldn't change it. I think I originally set it for 5500 static WOT but if I pushed the nose over once I reached pattern altitude, I would easily reach 5800 rpm if I wasn't quick on the throttle. I also didn't enjoy the more turbulent days because each thermal would require I be hypervigilant as well. 5250rpm is suiting me fine.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

That's what I use, 5250 rpm static, with my Whirlwind 70" GA-RW3B on a 912uls. A good compromise.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Eddie and Jim. I'll chime in later once I fly this thing. Still playing FAA but in the meantime - I got a hangar so that's progress!!!

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

For the definition of redundant - see redundant. Sorry about the double pump.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Test flew the plane this morning and 5250 static is the sweet spot I was looking for. Climbs great at 65mph and cruses about 100mph indicated in the traffic pattern at 5200 RPM. Thanks all!
    Last edited by desertdave; 03-17-2024 at 11:40 AM.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

I’m kinda’ late to the game here, but I just rechecked what I have mine set at… 21 deg. measured in level attitude. Same engine & prop as you. I’m at a higher field elevation than you Dave, but at 7,500 msl and 5350 rpm I cruise at a little over 120 mph. I’ve easily taken it up to 18,000’. Like Eddie, any finer pitch & it’s too easy to over-rev, & over-all performance is compromised. That’s just my experience, FWIW.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Okay, I'm back in the air. Fixing to fly to Phoenix today. I set up my pitch a bit more coarse than I had previously. I am currently 100 rpm less than what I had earlier (5250). So, at 5150 static WOT gives me about 10mph faster cruise than I had earlier. I took it out over the ocean where the air was very smooth and at 5500rpm I am now achieving 123mph TAS. If I run it at 5100 cruise I am now getting the speeds I once had while at 5500 rpm, about 110mph TAS.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X